Tiara

Dyeing Glazed Caiman?

Hi all,

I have some head pieces of caiman that are a cool looking salt and pepper coloring. They look like this. http://www.allexoticleather.com/product-p/chnat40.htm

I want to keep the dark markings and dye the white portions different colors. there is a glaze on the skin that varies, glossier and appearing thicker on the more raised areas, to a more semi gloss/satin appearance on the outer areas that are most of the white areas.

I'm experimenting with small pieces first. In the first test, I wanted to see what would happen without deglazing and dyed straight over the glaze. Used Angelus purple spirit dye diluted with isopropyl acohol about 10 to 1. Had softened it somewhat with applying a glycerin/alcohol/water solution from the back side. I've used on other caiman and snake skins with good results. Dyed it and left overnight to dry. It looked good but was quickly apparent that either the dye or pretreatment with glycerin mix was lifting the glaze. The glaze itself had soaked up the dye with some partial penetration beneath. I took another couple of test pieces along with this one and did a few other tests. Went back to the first piece and used acetone to see about getting all the glaze off and used the acetone on another piece. I had applied the acetone, let it sit for a minute or so and scrubbed it off as much as I could. The first piece I did still had some glaze on it this morning after its dried that lifts easily with a light fingernail scrape. The second piece I didn't use the glycerin on and deglazed first seems not to be lifting and appears more of the glaze is gone. The third piece I tried dyeing from behind as I do with snake skin. Did not wet it first but will do so on the next test. This one is interesting. It did take more dye of course but the color came through to the surface. Some interesting color shifts with some areas more bluish and some more reddish with other areas more towards the usual purple. The dark marking do show nicely on all the pieces but the one dyed from behind has partial penetration on the scutes. No sign of the glaze lifting off this one yet. I may keep going with this process.

However, I would like to know if it is likely for this glaze to keep lifting off? I've usually found that I like the look of the exotic skins best after dyeing with some oil and then use Angelus satin acrylic finishe diluted 50/50 with water as a sealer.

Would the alcohol in the dye be the likely causing of the glaze lifting? Any tips on getting the acetone to more completely take it off if I need to do so? or adding another finish over it?

thanks in advance