wmarshall

Greetings From A Novice

Hello I have caught the leather crafting bug. My wife and I just returned from the Renaissance Fair in southern California, and while she was shopping for clothes, i found the Leather Craft area across the way. I spent about an hour talking to the craftsman there, and he showed me some of the tools, and the basics of how they were used. Well three days later a pawned my laptop, and went straight to Tandy leather and bought their Basic Starters set. Im addicted. This website is great, but i was wondering if there is a area on the site where people sell there old stamps and tools, or if you all know of a site where a beginner might pick up some cheap tools to get them started? Thank you in advance for any information on where to get some of the tools, and i look forward to getting to know you all and progress in my own skills.

Welcome! Did you really pawn your laptop to buy the starter kit? Tools? Well the quick and dirty answer is e-bay. Then there are yard and rummage sales plus my favorite, flea markets. The better answer is to become a member at your local tandy leather factory store. The discounts are substantial if you really get into this hobby. First things first though. Learn how to use everything in that kit.

I do some carving but most of my items are those I make for a specific need or it's an idea that pops into my head. For example. I had this idea for a large bag to put expended shotgun shells in. Most ranges expect you to pick up your brass. About 12" on the bottom and multi paneled. Well, after using a few dusty math skill concerning circumference I used some scrap pieces too make six panels. Some hole punching and rawhide weaving later I had a bag that was ready for some eyelets and draw cord. The point it that our craft has many elements, from the complex carving and assembley of a saddle, to the simple drawstring bag.

Hello WMarshall.

You may find a few tools on the for sale section of this site but as redbeard said, ebay and Tandy are good places to start. This is the best site for obtaining the information you need for your projects.

You can invest slowly and use the time in between to learn more about the craft. There is so much to learn that I find it best to research and ask for assistance that may involve something I intend to do in the near future or just to expand my knowledge base. Everyone here seems to be eager to assist whenever they can.

I will send you a pm from this site when I am finished here.

Welcome and God Bless.

Ray