nmlvaio101

Cobra Class 17 And 18 Insight Reviews?

So, I have been window-shopping outside a standard generic store brand sewing machine for some time now. I was just curious how many users have either the Cobra class 17 and 18? And how are you guys enjoying them. I have been trying to email the company for sometime now with no success. I still have an interest in making tactical gear, and I am aware that this is more guided for leather. I have searched other forums with the same desire hobby with little help/ guidance to help me in sewing machines. Does anyone know if I can use a double needle setup? Or have a binder attachment capability. Of the two which one would be good for thick canvas type material (like mil spec Cordura Nylon 1000 denier) and nylon webbing up to ¼ inch thick material without pushing the machine too hard?

Of the two machines, the class 18 can handle heavier material. I had the 17 but sold it because I wanted a heavier class machine and higher foot lift. Both machines can sew 1/4" but any more than that then you will want the class 18. The class 18 also has needle feed where the needle jabs into the material and then moves back. The class 17 only had the needle coming up and down. Needle feed makes for more consistent feeding. With all that said, the class 18 is more expensive. Neither machine can be set up with double needle. Only double need machines can handle that you will never find a single needle machine that can handle two needles.

Both machines are set up with servos and speed reducers so power and torque are not a problem. Steve at cobra provides excellent customer service. I would suggest calling them instead of emailing. They are very helpful over the phone.

Andrew