Cogs

Twisted Guitar Strap Problem...

How would I correct the twisted strap? To be making a new strap and I'd like to make it so it lays flat up the front. (not twisted like his old strap). Swivel? Shape a 'J' at the end? Or, should he have a new button installed in a better location? Any ideas?

Thanks for helping,

Bill

post-19107-0-29353000-1367115371_thumb.j

post-19107-0-08746500-1367115385_thumb.j

Hi Cogs. That's a function of where his button is. You could actually do the same on the front as most people do on the rear and do a more narrow strap through oblong punch holes and then the wide part would lie flatter. Or he could use the string thingy that goes under the frets and it would lie flat. I hope one of these helps. Cheryl

Not to be overly simplistic, but..... it looks to me like you could just reverse the strap on the front knob. i.e. flip the strap at the attachment point.

You can fix the twisted strap by using a short twisted strap at the guitar.

Attach the guitar strap to the twisted strap.

my 2 cents? It's a left handed guitar. I'd have it setup for him in a right handed position. Other than that, just do what Murray said and attach the front of the strap against the neck. There are lots of guitars out there that were designed be attached that way anyway.

Try hooking it backwards. When the strap button is on the neck, like an acoustic, reverse the strap. Or move the strap button to the neck heel. The white area below the neck.

Edited by Bluesman

Hey, Cogs, . . . I've never been accused of being a guitar player, . . . but I can beat one into submission in a quick G, C, D7th order.

Have him simply undo his strap, . . . turn it 180 degrees clockwise, . . . re-attach and the strap should be flat.

May God bless,

Dwight

We tried the reverse attachment idea and it came out twisted the opposite way. I came up with an idea that might work. I'll make up a test piece and see. Don't you think this will work?

post-19107-0-78010200-1367288578_thumb.j

That should work, the smaller the strap the easier it will twist.

Another option is to encase a small piece of light gauge steel between two pieces of straight cut leather and then twisting that like a twisted shackle.

Just make sure the twist is outside the edge of the guitar.

Cogs, there are a lot of different ways to achieve your goal, most of which have been already suggested. Personally, I would make a 1" or so short strap that goes from the button up high enough around the neck, so that it clears the neck by an 1" and then neck down the main strap to 1" or so at it's front end. Use a swivel to attach the two. that way the main strap will lay flat and the twist will occur just above the neck in the swivel, a plus is that he won't have to modify the guitar attachment point (which he probably wouldn't do any way).

Bob

I'm liking the swivel idea. It's the most sure fire way to fix the twist. If I get the right kind, I'd like to wrap it with a felt liner to prevent scratching when he puts it on and off. Perhaps it could look real nice. (Cog's wheels are turning...)

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be working on this this weekend. May not get it done till the next weekend, as I have a regular job to do all week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bill

Well, I didn't like the swivel idea after all. I went with an 'S' strap and it works great. Here's the results. (More pics in "Show Off").

Bill

post-19107-0-18630100-1369001353_thumb.j

post-19107-0-62260500-1369001364_thumb.j