crow

pineapple question

started all over again, the first one was too tight in narrow places, too wide strings i guess. The second one one the pics is too loose, too much open space. Its 6 bight. Should i increase the bights or redo with wider lace, what you think.

As you see there are lots of places with different width. Your suggestions how would you cover it are warmly welcome. I`d like to keep the lace quite narrow, maybe 2mm. RIght now it is 6 bight, do you think adding bights, 8bights for example, will loose gaps in narrow part? I m going to fill the wide part later with o3 or o4 if 3 is not enough.

crow

DSC00128.JPG

DSC00130.JPG

post-5427-1221146267_thumb.jpg

post-5427-1221146275_thumb.jpg

crow

If ya could make it a eight bight knot I think it would fill that narrow part. I just don't know if ya can get another bight on there. You could make your strings a little wider and that should work also. Or you could also cut your strings a little narrower to open it up and get the next interweave through easier. I'm not sure how tight your strings are but it would be nice if you could start at the bottom with your next interweave. It will be dang tight but you my be able to make it work. I think it would be worth a shot before cutting the knot off. I would make sure to grease my strings up real well. Keep after it you'll get it.

Mike

Crow, My friend you have it just right in the first pic. There is no way to tie a knot that will fill those different sizes perfectly. What you do now is to increase the interweave on the larger part to over three under three. This you do in the same manner as the increase to over 2 under 2. If you are unsure how many to go under when you start back down the other direction you can look ahead at where the pattern of your "V" will be and cross under till you come out in the right place. Adding the 3rd interweave will tighten everything up quite a bit (even the smaller diameter) and by the final pass you will barely be able to fit the lace in the space left but that is how you end up with a nice, smooth and tight covering. It should turn out quite nicely if you do this. Looks good so far!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

well,

Sorry guys for this long confusing thread, i should have waited for my books instead of tortureing you here.

Got my GH books set today. I`m truely impressed of the clarity of explanations.

All the books are even handsigned by autor. I guess i`m a better braider now just having these books :)

crow

Edited by crow

finally finished. Started all over again 4-5 times to be satisfied.

The black and red color have a nice bright tone, but selfphone`s camera does its work.

crow

DSC00130.JPG

DSC00131.JPG

DSC00132.JPG

post-5427-1221779038_thumb.jpg

post-5427-1221779045_thumb.jpg

post-5427-1221779120_thumb.jpg

Edited by crow

crow

That turned out real nice. I really like how you have the solid black on the bottom half. And then the interweaves contrasting colors look great together. Great job!!

Mike

Can I ask question now? OK, I managed to follow some of the instructions in the first page. I got to the point where there was an X in back and 2 X's in front, how many turns is that? I have gail's book and I know how to do a pineapple knot with 6 bites and I can even add bites but adding the turns is really confusing me.

Anyway I ended up only doing 6 bites on that button and it wasn't enough, (thanks for the pictures, they really helped!)so I went back to do 8 bites but couldn't figure out how to make the knot even a little longer with another 1/2 turn or full turn.

Crow - that is beautiful! Nice work! That turned out really great.

entiendo

I think I mistakenly called that a two turn knot. I think it is a three turn knot. In either case it really doesn't matter. Once you understand how to make the knot longer ya could take as many turns as ya want. I think it's nice to know how many turns ya take so if your matching knots on a piece of work they are the same length. You shouldn't have to make a knot longer to add bights. If your doing a two turn knot you should be able to use 4,6,8, or more bights. I hope this helps. Keep asking and we'll get it figured out or get real confused.

Mike

I need the knot longer to cover a couple of things at once. It's a very small piece so I don't need more bites.

The turns are what's getting me. I don't understand how to make the knots longer. I successfully made the 3 turn knot you pictured, but I still want it longer so I pulled it all out.

Thanks a lot..

And crow that is beautiful work, I failed to mention that in my last post. I love the combination of colors.

I did it!!! I did it!! I studied the pictures on page one of this thread and Gail's book. I was trying to figure out exactly what a turn was. I don't know how many turns I did but it's a pretty long button and it appears to be OK with 6 bites, but I haven't tightened it yet.

Thank you sooo much for this thread!

entiendo

Thats great!!!!!!!!! I'am real happy for ya.

Mike