shooter55

Getting A "green" Tint When Applying Resolene

When ever I dye something medium brown or cordovan and use resolene as a finish, the resolene when being applied turns green. I have been using foam brushes. Is it a reaction between the color and the resolene, or am I doing something stupid? Is it the foam brushes? Has anyone had this happen?

Any suggestions would keep me from making everything black.

Thanks

Shooter

I forget. Did you ever get this sorted out? Things got kind of busy around here and I lost track of a lot of stuff I was working on.

I've seen similar, try buffing the dry died article more before applying the resolene (cut 50/50 with water) and don't "massage" or do cricles when applying the resolene. Just even straight strokes.

Kevin

I've seen similar, try buffing the dry died article more before applying the resolene (cut 50/50 with water) and don't "massage" or do cricles when applying the resolene. Just even straight strokes.

Kevin

I forget. Did you ever get this sorted out? Things got kind of busy around here and I lost track of a lot of stuff I was working on.

Kevin

Cyberthrasher

Still fighting with that. Haven't tried airbrushing yet, but will be doing that shortly.

Kevin,

I have been finishing exactly as you suggest, but am still incurring an issue. Going to try the airbrush which should take care of it. Thanks for your input.

Cyberthrasher

Still fighting with that. Haven't tried airbrushing yet, but will be doing that shortly.

I FOUND IT!!! :)

So, the fact that I spray my resolene more often than not is probably why I had never seen this. I wasn't aware that there were all those other colors in the browns (makes sense though considering how you make brown.....DUH). I want to say it's a few minutes in where Rusty mentions it here.

Cyberthrasher,

Apparently Brown can be attained from mixing numerous colors together. I watched the link and, yes, that is apparently is what is happening. I am drawing out the "green" when applying with a brush, sponge or cloth. The dye appears dry, but there is a possibility that it may not be totally dry, which makes this happen. I'll do a sample and let it dry for 48 hours and try it again. Yesterday, I used an airbrush application, and of course had no issues. Will probably stay with that since the coverage seems to get into areas that's hard to get to with a brush.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how the "test" comes out.

Apparently Brown can be attained from mixing numerous colors together.

yeah, that's why it was a serious "DUH" moment for me. From my first day of mixing colors as a kid I learned that the quickest way to make a pooh brown was throwing EVERY color together. Even came up with my wife the other day when she asked if I could add black to darken something and I told her that would probably just make it brown. Don't know why it never occurred to me that they would be doing the same thing with the dyes.