hectron

Oil Tanned Leather...not Dyed?

Hello all, i was wondering, i dont know if this is a stupid question or not but, is there oil tanned leather available for sale that is not pre dyed? im asking because i have made a few steampunk utility bags out of veggie tanned leather and though i like them, they are wayyyyy to rigid and does not really fit to you like i want it too. i dye my steampunk stuff a rustic sorta way so i really want to dye it myself. any ideas of where if any where i can get some? i dont think tandy leather has it :(

Most leather that has been finished comes waxed, there are oily leathers but these are again finished.

It sounds like your after vegtan tooling leather, this isn't finished, that's your job, if they oil it you can't dye it.

You can buy case leather or saddle skirting finished in most colours, russet is probably the closest to natural or London Tan, also called Newmarket.

Case leather is the softest and vegtan will supple up if you oil it with neatfoot, make sure you get the pure not the compound.

All the colours I've mentioned are UK based, I don't know if they call them the same elsewhere. I don't know where you are.

Metropolitan Leathers do a nice case leather 1.4mm to 3.5mm and Abbey England do the rest.

Hope that helps.

Nige

whats the difference between vegtan tooling leather and normal vegtan?

It's the same leather, it's just labeled differently from supplier to supplier.

Nige

I add a couple notes to what Nige said. You not only can't dye oil-tanned leather, you can't "form" it like you can wetted veg-tan. That might have a major impact on its suitability for armor. It won't absorb the water. It's a project just putting your maker's mark directly on oil-tanned leather. I think Nige uses big C-clamps. Others use an automotive-style hydraulic press. Still, it's wonderful stuff to work with. It makes beautiful belts and other items and has a terrify "hand." You should take a look at Nige's web site if you haven't already. http://www.armitageleather.com/

Oil tanned is just retreated chrome tanned leather (sometimes tawed leather).,..that's why it doesn't absorb water

If you need a leather that's a bit drapey/soft/pliable, but still something you can dye, why not milled veg tan? It has a pronounced pebbled grain, but it conforms to curves and forms soft gussets.