loony

Motorcycle Solo Bag

I have made a couple of small wallets from old leather jackets I had lying around, so I have some basic tools.

A company I have dealt with seems reasonable with the price of there goods, leprevo is the name.

So my question is:

I want to make a solo bag for my fathers motorcycle. I am not completely sure where to start though.

The main thing is the type and thickness of leather that I should buy and roughly how much. The bag will be black and approx 5-6 liters inside.

I would use waxed cotton? in black again. I would start by making a pattern to suit the bike.

The picture below shows roughly the shape and dimensions.

n1bfvd.jpg

some more pictures and detail on this link http://www.ebay.co.u...3-/190751949755

The depth is 10cm , I would redesign this slightly to suit the bike. I would use lockable buckles if the option was available.

I am really looking forward to this project. like most newbies I am on a budget, I have no rush to complete it and may make 2 more if this one goes well.

Thanks

Edited by loony

I also buy from leprevo, and so far have found them the cheapest around, though other people have mentioned to me "you get what you pay for", but since I'm also starting out I've been very happy with them so far, though I might get some better tools later on.

For the bag, you mention I don't think you want it too thick, maybe order code 026 or 028 will be ok for you.

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm

The best thing for you to do is to contact leprevo and ask them to send you some samples - I've placed several orders with them in the past and with each order ordered quite a few samples by giving them the order codes and colours of the ones I'm interested in.

If this is going to be left on the bike. I would want to use polyester size 346 or larger because it's sun and water resistant. On the leather it will depend on how stiff you will want your bag to be. I would use a 7-8 ounce in a latigo, or a bridal leather that will help it to stand up to the weather. That kind of leather has wax and oil already in it. Oil tanned leather would work also. How much you will need is another thing, I don't use metric if I can help it, buy I find that most places I know of you will have to buy a side. it all depends on what you like to work with. Rob