KarlB

1942 Alfa Romeo Grab Handle

post-41795-0-90125500-1372282580_thumb.jHi everyone! I've been given a daunting task at my place of employment. We're restoring a one-of-a-kind automobile, and the chore has fallen upon me to do some of the leather work. Specifically, the braided "grab handles" on the rear of the front seat. I've been able to weave the basic parts and make the loop ends, but I've failed miserably at forming a decent Turk's Head knot to cover up the mating parts. Can anyone give me any hints? I have the Encyclopedia of Rawhide & Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant, and Braiding Fine Leather by David Morgan, and have watched numerous videos by Bernie 46(?) to no avail. I still end up with a tangled mess! In the photo above, my effort is above the original part I'm attempting to replicate, as close as possible. Please help!! Thanks! KarlB Edited by KarlB

post-41795-0-70475800-1372293280_thumb.jHi - it's a 1942, as I mentioned - a "concept" car, of which only one was made. Similar variants were produced after the fact, of course. Pininfarina did the coachwork. I have already successfully recreated the steering wheel covering...post-41795-0-05921300-1372293483_thumb.j Lots more leather work to do! KarlB Thanks for replying! Oh - it was the first time they used the term "Golden Arrow" (or Freccia d'Oro) to label the automobile. Edited by KarlB

What a cool project. Not sure where you are in central Ontario but Sean Dalgetti at Tundra leather in Hamilton might be willing to help.

I'm presently in the Bradford area, and working with The Guild Of Automotive Restorers there. We will be featured on The History Channel this fall!! Good to hear from you! KarlB http://www.guildclassiccars.com/

Edited by KarlB

Hello,

Cool project, I am sure you could find a local leather worker to give you a hand

I have seen the "Guild" ads in Road and Track

Basically, this is what I was attempting to accomplish: Photo095_zps00b7d349.jpg They aren't perfect, and I will probably have to remake them if the Powers That Be decide so, but at least now I think I have a "handle" on how to do it! LOL Been a long hard trek, but we're getting there! KarlB

Those handles look fantastic and so does the steering wheel. I would certainly be glad to have something of this quality in my own car. What are the specs (ounce, manufacturer, type, veg?) for the leather utilized for the handle and steering wheel? I think it would be great to grab one of the handles as you go around a curve in a one of a kind vehicle. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, Pattonky! Before I had this job foisted upon me, my leatherworking had been limited to holsters, pouches and belts. In this particular application, we are being required to use the same material for all the upholstery coverings - seats, doors, interior panels, steering wheel, and yes, even the grab handles on the back of the seats! Now, I'm not certain of the weight or manufacturer or tanning process of the leather we have, but it is *extremely* light, akin to a "glove" leather. It *REALLY* has a lot of stretch in one direction - which imposed a bit of a challenge forming the steering wheel cover! I might have to remake the handles yet again, as the loop ends are noticeably larger than the originals. But NOW I have a good idea how to accomplish this!! Thank you for your comments! KarlB

Hello KarlB,

Can you please show me a drawing of the "Turk Head" you want to do ? (sorry, I'm french and sometime I got trouble understanding expressions :notworthy: )

As for the wheel, could you please send me a zoom on the stichings ?

Here is an example a friend of mine has done for his car :

volant joel 8 010

I'm not that expert (learning to make my new job by making all the interior of my own car :crazy: ) but if I can, I'll be more than happy to share what I have found / learned.

Cheers

Hello KarlB,

Can you please show me a drawing of the "Turk Head" you want to do ?

Hello, Fanador! A pleasure to make your acquaintance! I managed to figure out the Turk's Head knot that we needed on the handles, thanks to help from members on here and an excellent book by Bruce Grant, "The Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding." DSC00177_zps18ae4617.jpg Here is a picture of one of my "practice" knots. I'm sorry, but I searched through my pictures for a better one of the steering wheel, but I can't find one! When I'm in the shop tomorrow I'll try to remember to take a close up picture of the stitching. Thanks for replying and good luck with your project! Karl

Wow ! :o This is how they made the extermity of the handles ? Impressive !

Do you know how you will fix it on the handle ?

Well, the steering wheel is locked up in storage until we need it... looks like it will be a while! So I did not get the chance to take some new pictures, sorry, Fandaor! But to answer your question (and I apologize for the delay - I've been crazy busy!) about affixing to the handle, it's quite simple: I just start the Turkshead by pulling the lace UNDER one of the strands in the handle. I tie it wet (using saddle soap) and once it dries, it is a nice snug fit. I hope they have more similar projects for me in the near future! Look for "Restoration Garage" on The History Channel to see more of our projects, too! You might even see ME!! LOL KarlB

Just wanted to give a super thanks for this thread--- Creative mayhem has been "saddled" with reproducing a riding crop X 3 that has his knot--- MUcho appreciated guys!

I'm glad you found some help here, Ibenu! I'm a beginner with the weaving and knots myself, mostly I just do sheaths and holsters. But if there's any way I can be of assistance, please ask! And almost everyone here will help if they can! Good luck with the riding crops! Karl