Sovran81

Cutting Fur

I have a project that I am lining with hair on Spanish churro. The fur is very thick, soft and long. I am not sure how to cut a straight line and keep the fur intact. Any pointers? Thank you.

Try cutting from the flesh side with a knife instead of scissors. Scissors catch the fur and cut it when you don't want to.

And be sure you don´t cut all the way through at once. Cut just like the first half in step one and then lift the fur up (at the point where you are cutting) with two fingers - one to the left and one to the right of the cutting line) and go very carefully through the piece, so you won´t cut any fur at all. Less messier and more hair on the piece you just cut out ^^.

Thanks for the tips. I normally use a rotary cutter with light leather and can see that is out.

Old time furriers who make garments from fur used single edge razor blades to carefully slice through the hide, flesh side, leaving the fur intact. I have done the same when remaking an old fur coat.

Best of luck, go slowly and with great care.

Viking Queen

Edited by Viking Queen