Tracym

Turks Head - A Miracle May Have Occurred (But Interweaves?)

I can't seem to find a video of this kind of knot. For some reason, I can't get into the knotheads worldwide site (technical problem), I was going to look there. Anyone have any insight into how a long knot is worked differently for the interweave?

For which knot?

Brian..

I currently was trying to use a 4 bight 7 part turks head. The first thing I'd like to do is a herringbone interweave in a second color. For a second knot, I'd like around the same size, barber pole. I'm braiding beveled 1/8 kangaroo - these knots are to cover the back braid. I'm cutting 1/8 lace in half and using that for the knots, if that info helps.

Got a couple of the Bud Brewer tutorials - hopefully that should do it - thanks!!!

Hi Tracy,

When deciding on the base knot's geometry,you must also take into account the Type of PK you intend to tie. If Type 1, where the interweaves are entirely held within the bight boundary of

base knot, the Interweaves will have 2 FEWER parts than the base knot so you need to ensure that the interweave can be tied. To test, ensure that the number of Parts and Bights have a greatest

common denominator (GCD) of ONE. If the GCD is greater than ONE, then you either need to tie a Type 2 Pineapple Knot OR change the base knot geometry.

If you're tying a TYPE 1 Pineapple Knot, your 7p x 4b base TH knot will have a 5p x 4b TH interweave for a total of 12p x 8b Type 1 PK which won't work because you can divide by 2 and/or 4 (GCD higher than 1).

Another one that won't work is if the outside turk's head knot is an 11x6 turk's head the inside turk's head will be a 9x6 turk's head....which can't be tyed!

Here are some great tutorials:

http://pineappleknotstutorials.over-blog.org/articles-blog.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by skyout

Thanks so much for the tutorials, that is great! I'm trying to figure out that part about not being able to be divided. For example, there is a tutorial TYPE 1 - 2 PASS PINEAPPLE KNOT (from a 5x4 turk's head knot) so 5x4 would be with a 4x3 interweave = 9 x 7 correct? Well 9 can be divided by 3? Or is it ok because the 7 can't be divided?

Tracy, it is that both part and bight cant be divided by the same number. GCD= Greatest Common Denominator. The GCD of the numbers 9 and 7 is 1. No other number can divide both of them.

Thanks so much for the tutorials, that is great! I'm trying to figure out that part about not being able to be divided. For example, there is a tutorial TYPE 1 - 2 PASS PINEAPPLE KNOT (from a 5x4 turk's head knot) so 5x4 would be with a 4x3 interweave = 9 x 7 correct? Well 9 can be divided by 3? Or is it ok because the 7 can't be divided?

You have the parts and bights mixed up on your interweave. Base knot of 5parts x 4bights has a 3part x 4bight interweave. This makes it an 8part x 8bight. It can be tied.

Edited by skyout

Oh I see. (I think). I mixed up the whole thing haha. I think I need a math class!

If you are on Facebook, join "The mighty turksheah knot" group. There, in the files selection, you will find "Introduction to Turks Head Knots" by Tom Hall. Hall's Intro is really great.

There are other great resources from Ron Edwards and Sidney Wood to see, as well as a bunch of tutorials.

You have the parts and bights mixed up on your interweave. Base knot of 5parts x 4bights has a 3part x 4bight interweave. This makes it an 8part x 8bight. It can be tied.

OK, wait a minute though - 8 x 8 has common divisors of 2 and 4 - I thought that meant it wouldn't work? That you couldn't have a common divisor greater than 1? (I bet I'm still confused)

I guess you call it an exception if the parts and bights are the same. A base 7p x 6b has a 5p x 6b interweave for a total 12p x 12b and it will work. Same w/the 9p x 8b base TH.

Hahaha no fair giving me the exception, when I barely figured out the rule! :)