cardboredbox

Greetings From Idaho - Usa

Hello Fellow Leatherworkers!

My name is Rich, and I live in Idaho, in the Boise area, with my wife and 4 children. I started out in leatherwork as a scout when I was 11, and had the fortunate opportunity to apprentice for about 6 months with a saddle maker. I didn't get to do much but clean, and do a bit of background tooling on saddle components. I was fascinated with the ability to take raw materials and craft something durable and highly valuable. My parents supported my interest and purchased what today would be worth ~$500 from Tandy. I loved going to the store, smelling the leather and getting to gather materials for a project. We moved back to the city, and over time, my interest in sports, girls and cars took front seat, and I eventually boxed up my tools and let it slide away.

Fast forward 30 years, and I have encountered a new need for the craft, and I have again begun collecting tools and focusing on supporting 2 projects that have come to light.

1. A knife sheath for my son's knife that was a gift to my cousin for earning his Eagle Scout Award: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51945
  2. An arm guard for my daughter who is getting a bow for Christmas, and I thought that a nice enhancement would be to make her the needed accessories, quiver, finger glove and arm guard: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51945

It immediately rekindled that love of taking materials, working it, assembling it and creating something of durable value. It my not have a lot of dollar value, but it is valuable in and of itself, and it feels good to create.

I would be lying if I didn't feel somewhat inspired by the re-reading of Atlas Shrugged. With the world we live in today, and the consumptionistic nature of society, it really feels good to create... even if it is simply for my own use. Am I saving money? NO - will I stop? NO - it is too satisfying to take the time to find a need, define the requirements, design and build... sorry if that seems kind of preachy...

Looking forward to seeing more of your creations and getting inspiration from the creativity that abounds on this site.

Thanks Ian for referring me via your YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/satansbarber

Cheers,

Rich

CardBoredBox

Hello Rich and welcome to the Forum.