Sign in to follow this  
rawhide1

cutter/bevler

Hello I hope everybody is doing good and having a wonderful day!! I thought i'd post a picture of my string cutter/bevler I just got a week or two ago. I bought it from Bryan Neubert and i've been tickled pink with it. I've been able to cut strings down to 1/32nd with it and some down to 1/64th but I haven't been able to consitantly cut 1/64th without breaking them. I think it has more to do with the rawhide being cased just right. It has a dial on the end you use to adjust the string width ya wish to cut or bevel. So ya can really fine tune it. I bought a cheap vise to hold it with. It cost some money (no more than othr ones i've seen) but I think it's well worth it if a fella or gal plans on doing a lot of braiding. On a side note Mr. Neubert is a heck of a nice guy. He spent a great amount of time with me on the phone answering questions and just talking braiding.

Mike

IMG_0162.JPG

post-4953-1200942246_thumb.jpg

Nice if you do only straight laces.

Unfortunately as a whip maker I need tapered laces so I have to cut them and bevel them by hand.

BTW does that cutter allow you to cut lace directly from the hide?

All the best

Victor

Victor

Right now I have several hunderd feet of 1/4" precut rawhide. I just split it and cut it to the width I need. But I soon as I can save up some cash I'm going to get some sides. My plans are to cut my thin stuff out of a calf oval. And for thicker strings all use a draw gauge to cut 3/4" from around a cow hide. I will then split to desired thickness and cut to width. Seeing how my computer skills are less than my braiding skills (hard to believe) what does BTW stand for. Thanks Mike

WOW! A question I actually know the answer to!

It means "By The Way". :D

@Victor: Do you cut all your strings by hand? How do you do yours?

HorsehairBraider

Thanks i'm going have to start writing these down.

Mike

Victor

Right now I have several hunderd feet of 1/4" precut rawhide. I just split it and cut it to the width I need. But I soon as I can save up some cash I'm going to get some sides. My plans are to cut my thin stuff out of a calf oval. And for thicker strings all use a draw gauge to cut 3/4" from around a cow hide. I will then split to desired thickness and cut to width. Seeing how my computer skills are less than my braiding skills (hard to believe) what does BTW stand for. Thanks Mike

Yup I cut everything by hand and I skive/bevel everything by hand.

I probably cut about 3,000 ft. a week or more.

Unfortunately I can't just cut my laces in one long lace and then cut them to length.

I have to cut each lace individually as they are tapered.

all the best

Victor

I'm not a braider,but i'm very interreset in know everything about it.Also about learning making whips(i'm just waiting some books i've oredered).

Some time ago i discover a guy in australia making whips,and also having specials tool for it!cutting,bevelling.Idon't know if i can post pics or a video of them tools.

His web site was http://www.em-brand-whips.com/ .

I'm gonna contact him,to see if he's still selling his tools.

I let you know something...

ps for Victor:your whips are just a piece of Art!

Alex

One good news:I contact the man from http://www.em-brand-whips.com/ and he give me more pics of his tools.

Here his cutter:

cuttera.jpg

cutter2a.jpg

cutter3a.jpg

And his beveller:

strander1a.jpg

I send more pictures later...

He's a great guy,making nice whips but also very helpfull.(he send pics in one day)!

For those who are interessed,he also give the plans for reproduce his tools !!

I'm gonna see with a friend of me if he can make this for me.

Please don't thank me.

Just THANK Bernie ! :cheers:

cutter1a.jpg

post-5333-1201617325_thumb.jpg

post-5333-1201617495_thumb.jpg

post-5333-1201617543_thumb.jpg

post-5333-1201617630_thumb.jpg

post-5333-1201617671_thumb.jpg