JoeSnuffie

Quick And Easy 'hand Rubbed' Look

I've been playing around with the 'hand rubbed' look and have settled on a method that is quick and easy. I thought I'd share it with anyone wanting to try it. The results are very consistent and can be reproduced over and over as long as you use the same dye colors. I'm able to get nearly identical effects from both cow and goat.

I start with Tandy Eco-Flo All-In-One in Desert Tan and finish with a darker color or spirit or oil dye. I wet a sponge (wet all the way through but not dripping) and apply a couple dabs of the dye to the sponge. I fold the dyed side of the sponge over on itself and make sure the dye is squished in pretty well and not clumped on the surface.

Then I rub this into the leather, using a lot of pressure and circles that are the size of the 'hand rubbed' color variations that I want to produce. I do this a few times until there are no high contrast streaks, but not so much that I have a thick, even coat. I'm not trying to get an even finish, just enough so that it sticks and provides a little resistance to the final dye color. I apply a little more dye as I need it.

I let this set up for a couple minutes. I'm not letting it dry, just letting the surface seal a little. Then I get final dye ready. In the pictures you see, I used Fiebing's Pro Oil dye in Walnut. I use a wool dauber an cover a section at a time. The size of this section depends on how well the Tandy dye sealed. I want to make sure the dye doesn't soak right in, rather, i want it to sit on the surface a bit so I can rub it in. In the picture of the wallet shell, I was able to cover half of the piece at a time.

After the second dye has been applied, I use a folded paper towel and some pressure to rub this in. The alcohols in the second dye will dissolve the Tandy dye a little and cause them both to mix and form a thicker dye. Since the Tandy dye was applied unevenly, and the rubbing also spreads the dye unevenly, you get a beautiful uneven 'hand rubbed' look. Don't spend too long in one section, though, and rub a little onto the other sections to make sure it all blends nicely.

That's it. Just finish the pieces however you want and make something beautiful.

Straight Razor Sheath

Fancy Goat Skin Wallet Progress

Hi There

That is a nice effect I will keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing :-)

Cheers, Toolingaround

Thanks for that, I will definitely give it a go sometime. Getting a consistent, repeatable finish would be so useful instead of my more hit & miss result!

Your technique produces a wonderful finish!