stanly

Small Traveling Workbench?

I'm planning on hitting several of the local farmers markets this summer with my leatherwork, so...

I'd like to find either a bench that can fold or break down to fit on back of a motorcycle. Something about 14" x 20" or smaller (about size of lg daypack).

OR plans to build one.

So far the best Idea I've come up with is to layer two 3/4" plywood pieces then get screw on legs and brackets (question is whether the legs would hold up).

Hi Stanly, I completely understand what you seek. You know, how about a TV dinner tray? At least you might get the surface area you want, then redesign the leg-folding action? Or, if the dinner tray has a nice leg concept, you may be able to get away with that until you come up with a different idea. You know, game players used to travel with boards that set up into a table to play chess. Perhaps something like that? How about checking into an antique store or 3?

Hope you find your way grasshopper. John

I would sugest a small hardwood post 4-6 inch dia.24-30 inch long, flat metal plate screwed to one end for an anvil, plain end grain the other for hole punching, grip it between your legs in use, you could even fit a mounting for a small vice

thanks for your replies:

countyholster-I'll admit I hadn't thought about game travelboards, as I want something I can sketch, carve, tool, etc. on. Wonder how that would holdup?

MikeCahill- hadn't thought of mono-pole design.