Sign in to follow this  
OurJud

Potentially Exciting Find

Today I called at an upholsterers in my local town centre that I'd never noticed before, to ask if they had any scraps. He said they had little dealings with leather and that what they did have wouldn't suit my needs. He pointed me towards a cobblers across the street and told me to ask there. I did, but again drew a blank as all his leather comes pre-cut. This guy in turn told me about a shop a few streets away, so off I went to take a look. When I got there it was closed and I felt sure by the condition of the outside and the grotty windows that it hadn't been active for many a year.

However, I called at a house opposite and the guy says the place is still active and that he'll be in tomorrow. There's a small sign in the window that says, "Leather Merchant", and I must confess the thought of having somewhere so close by, where I can go and inspect the leather before I buy is very exciting.

I'll update after I've checked him out tomorrow.

That sounds promising. I've called the shops in my area that I would suspect as carrying leather but most of them deal in vinyl, leather too thick for me or scraps so small I can't use them. My biggest shock was a couple of 'high end' furniture repair places telling me that they use vinyl and not leather.

Funnily enough I got a similar response from the upholsterers. They said they had plenty of vinyl but very little leather.

I'm trying to stay optimistic about this other guy, but I half suspect that when I call tomorrow my finding will be similar to yours, Joe; either leather that's too thick or scraps too small to be of any use.

Ah well, turns out this leather merchant is a cobblers supplier and only has the really think stuff.

I knew it was too good to be true :rolleyes2: