Toffeehead

Stitching With Thin Leather

I am new to leather craft so please bear with me. I have some thin goat hide, approx 1mm thick and I made a card holder but the stitching is a mess. I used an awl and it was all fine in 2 side but the other was punctured and looks uneven.

The leather is already dyed and I didn't groove first.

I was looking at stitching chisels but not sure the best way forward for thin hides. What's the best way to stitch 2 pieces of 1mm leather together?

Hi toffehead

Try glueing to gather first than sawing

Or glue then use a sewing machine with out tread

To mark holes

Then hand saw or how every you like

When finished hammer flat

Hope this helps you on your way through leathercrafting

Walletman bob

using glue like contact cement or thin double sided sewing tape. Use a pricking iron to pierce the holes until it goes through the backside. If it is 1mm of chrome tan leather then it will be harder than sewing with vegtan. I find that at least 6 ounces of leather of veg tan is optimum. It depends on what is being sewn. Some members sew with chrome tan, but i find it nearly impossible to go more than 5 stitches without a stitch looking uneven when stitching chrome tan leather.

Do you mean use the pricking iron to completely go through both pieces? I am using veg tan

David l, I have just looked at your etsy page and seen your card holder, this is similar to whatvibwant to make, how did you approach the stitching for that item?

Once you have all the cut outs align the pieces and glue with contact cement, rubbing cement or double sided tape (very thin kind) and then get your scratch compass or ruler and scratch a line for your stitching. Take a pricking iron/pricking wheel or overstitch and run it along the line. For Pricking iron lightly press on the leather and once it looks perfectly aligned on the line hit the iron until you see a mark on the backside of the leather. The mistake i did was that i didn't scratch the line before i glued it in place, this only really matters since the line is slightly farther in the distressed blue wallet.