HC009

Vinegaroon Makes My Rivets Rusty.

Hi, I love the colour of the finished, vinegarooned black leather but I am a bit disappointed as I secured rivets into the leather and they went rusty. Is this the acidity of the vinegar (I have maybe not put in enough steel wool into the vinegaroon jar) or is this just a fact of life when using this dye that all your metal wear goes rusty that is in contact with the leather? The leather was dry as well not wet with the dye.

Edited by heavenlychoirs

If steel rivets are rusting, maybe brass ones would help? I don't know what effect vinegar has on brass, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck and please let us know if you find a solution to the problem.

Thanks,

Michelle

I think I have found the answer - once you have dyed the leather with it then you let it dry and then soak a couple of times in strong bicarb of soda solution then rinse with water and then wax. I'll post back once have tried it.

Is this the acidity of the vinegar (I have maybe not put in enough steel wool into the vinegaroon jar)

Exactly why - you have used up all the acid - keep adding iron until it well no longer dissolve but rather rust it . Once done leave the lid off for a few days to allow any residual acid to gas off. Using baking soda (don't soak for long or you will burn the leather) will help but is not a panacea for not using up the acid.

yes, that is what I am doing - putting a ton of steel wool in the mixture now.

another thing that helps is to heat the mix which will speed things up - I just set it out in the sun in the summer or inside in a well sunlit window during the winter - I use the dark brown plastic coffee "cans" which will absorb the heat better