xyshannen

Washable Leather

I'm planning on making some protective riding gear for motorcycle riding. What I'm thinking is to take some strong clothing like from Duluth and stitch some heavy leather over the knees and elbows and along the back and butt. I'm wanting to be able to wash these garments in the machine, but only hang dry them. What leather would be best for this application? I'm thinking oil tanned or possibly chrome tanned?

Good luck with that. Please let us know what you decide and how you do.

Thanks,

Michelle

I make custom moccasins out of buffalo and bullhide that I source from the Hide House in Napa, CA. It is machine and hand washable and looks great.

I would highly recommend this for you. Nice leather to work with too.

Kenny, do you mind linking me to the exact leather you use? I looked on their site and their product listings are pretty vast. It could take me a good bit reading description after description to find what you use.

I did just run through the wash a 6oz 12 by 12inch peice of oil tanned I had some scrap of, just to see. The results where not terrible but not great either. It went in having a nice firm temper to it and came out somewhat distorted with about a 7" square part that became all crumpled and very soft to the touch. I'm letting it dry now. I wanted to see what the harshest wash cycle would do so I washed it on the power wash cycle. I'm thinking a delicate cycle and a smaller piece may provide better results. But the question still remains if it will stand up to repeated cycles and drying

Edited by xyshannen

https://hidehouse.com/products/index.html?Category=SB&Product_ID=1408

I do not wash this leather over and over, usually a couple times a year for my moccasins in sufficient. They sell in a lighter weight as well but I use 8/9 oz. myself.

There will be some initial bleeding too. If you want I have some scrap I would send you to try. Lower 48 only though. Small pieces that will give you an idea if this will work for you.

Not to be machine dried and use woolite to clean. PM me if interested and we'll go from there.

Why not hand wash leather? Leather probably doesnt handle too well in hot water, cold water machine wash maybe a different story.

Selvage denim for instance is known to shrink and lose its unique "aged patina" once its been washed too early. Leather also shouldn't be washed too much so it retains its characteristics.

Hand washing isn't out of the question. I'm just more worried about repetitive wetting and drying causing the leather to get stiff over time. The idea behind this protective clothing is something to wear over your clothes that's lighter and a lot cooler than a full leather jackets and or chaps. In Florida it can be over 120 on the road surface. So with that, I know washing is still going to be necessary from time to time. Would Veg Tan that's been really well oiled stand up?

Honestly, I was having a bit of a blond moment when I posted this and hand washing wasn't even something I had considered. LOL.

Kenny thanks for the offer, but I'm wanting to do a bag out of bison,, so if it doesn't work for this idea the leather won't go to waist. And that's actually a good price for bison that thick!

Edited by xyshannen