Sign in to follow this  
oyvindbl

Should I or should I not??

My father has an old australian saddle which he got for free several years ago. He was told by someone who was supposed to have knowledge of saddles that this saddle wasn't straight so he shouldn't use it.

I have no knowledge of saddles (or horses), but I get depressed to see it lying in his basement not being used. It is pretty worn so I thought I maybe should replace the worn leather on it, but then I had to be sure it was useable. How can I measure if it is straight and What can I do to fix it if it's not?

Should I just throw it in the garbage and get it out of sight?

oyvindbl,

Pix would help.

I will admit that I am a snob of sorts, when it comes to certain saddles, especially Auzzies and Mexies. The Pakistani auzzies are junk in my opinion, so if that is what you have I would suggest you hang it from a rail or use it on your next bonn fire. Though the Pakies were made somewhat for the US market they were not made for US horses.

If it is an authentic Auzzie, that is a different story.

Does it have a maker mark?

Mainly we need to know what the guy meant by 'wasn't strait'. This could mean the tree was twisted (tougher to fix) it could be broken(Could be fiberglassed), or just that the flocking(padding under saddle) needed reset or replaced.

It's hard for us to tell you if it is worth the effort to restore the saddle until we get a better look and more details on that saddle.

GH

Edited by Hidemechanic

There must be someone close to you to get a second opinion from. I also agree that the pakistani saddles are crap but I have a true Aussie saddle here I'm quite fond of on some of my narrower horses so if it is a well built saddle from a reputable maker its worth riding on.

I really don't know if it is twisted or if it just is the stuffing that should be fixed.

I can't have a closer look at it right now since I am stuck on an oil rig for a couple of weeks.

But I will try to get some pictures of it as soon as I get back home. He bought himself a new sadle (also aussi style) a few years back but he sold that one shortly after he gave away the horse (14 years old norwegian cold-blood mare). She was a great horse, but it was better for her to get a home where she would be used and not just going around eating and doing as she pleases all day long.