Sign in to follow this  
Happycrow

Sharpening an awl?

I'm an okay hand with sharpening knives... but I'm seriously striking out. I'm not talking about the little stab awl, but the diamond-shaped suckers that lock into a handle... how do you get an edge on these things?

Lay one of the faces (flat sides) against your stone, and push/pull the blade back and forth. It's kinda like repeatedly stabbing something- that kind of movement. The edges of the awl might get a little sawtoothed and that's okay, you'll take care of that when you strop. Repeat with all four faces. The place you want the awl to be sharpest is the tip. It's what's penetrating the leather. The edges do little more than push the leather out of the way (but if sharp enough it will slice the leather).

Once you've stoned the awl, move to your strop, and pull the blade across it. That should put a "oh look, it will go half way through a finger before I feel it" kind of sharpness on it.

AHHHHH....

No wonder I've been screwing it up, then. Not like doing a knife blade at all. Okay, thank you very much. I've got a sharp point, but couldn't get the edges I want (I'm frequently pushing through some fairly heavy and often low-quality leathers, so having that edge helping is a big deal for me, and I especially want to get away from being dependent on punches for my thonging work).

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Ah. In that case, after sharpening the tip of the awl, don't strop the edges. The sawtooth edge will certainly cut the leather, and help to keep the hole open.

That should put a "oh look, it will go half way through a finger before I feel it" kind of sharpness on it.

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

Yup.

Thanks again.