montrealleather

Motorcycle Grip

Hi there.

I have a 2014 Indian vintage and these leather grip covers are available through Indian as an accessory. If I were you I would find an Indian dealer near you and copy the pattern. The application is glue on the bare chrome handlebar and remember if they are bigger than the stock grips. you will need to adjust your clutch. If you get these done, I would appreciate pictures.

Good luck

bcflyguy X- Montrealer

How to make this ??

Thank uou

Those grips use Biltwell Aluminum Whiskey throttle sleeves as a base --- Hermann Oak leather is then cut into 1/4" lace, wrapped and glued around the throttle sleeve. In this case you would have to cut one of the throttle sleeves down on the end to use it on the clutch side. The throttle sleeves are about $49.00 a piece.

Alternately, you could purchase a set of straight billet grips and then wrap them yourself, or you could purchase a set of grips with one piece rubber sleeves, remove the rubber sleeves and wrap them with your own choice of leather.

Finally, you could just purchase a set of theirs for $369.00. Note: Theirs will only fit 1" bars.

Good Luck! I hope that helped.

Edited by Tramps Leatherworking

Another method Ive seen is to aquire some grip "blanks" in one the ways Tramps Leatherworking described and cut and stack and glue some heavyweight leather washers, chuck em up in a lathe or drill and sand smooth, then apply some sort of epoxy or sealer to seal the whole thing. kind of like a kabar knife handle. A cool option with this method is that you can dye the washers different colors and end up with some cool effects.

agreed johnd....those look like stacked washers. at first glance i thought they were possibly wrapped and stitched. but those are washers.....well, at least the brown ones are. can't make out what the black ones are all about.

You guys are absolutely correct, these are stacked washers --- I assumed he made them the same way I did many years ago...

I would get the stock set (if they are made out of metal) cut the washers and just glue them with some good wood glue, epoxy will be too brittle. Then turn them on a lathe. this gives me an idea for my "bar hopper" build..... the issue will be the sealing of the grain/fibers. several ways of doing that, I just dont know what would be the best one of all.