bcflyguy

Type Of Lace And Which Holes

question please

What type and size of lace do I use to double stitch 9/ 10 oz leather. Also, do I punch 1/8 hole or punch a 1/8th stitching slot. Just trying to complete my second project and would appreciate all the help that I can get

Thanks in advance

bcflyguy aka Neil

If it were me, I would use 1/8" lace, and 3/32" lacing slits (made with a lacing thong), I'm not sure what a 1/8" stitching slot is, if it's a horizontal slit, that is a lacing thong. If it's a diamond shaped hole, I wouldn't use it. If you don't have a lacing thong, then you can punch a 0 size hole spaced 3/32" apart and 3/32" from the edge, that will give you a nice tight lace.

Chief

Thanks for the help Chief. Any idea what type of lace to buy for 1 /32 lacing slit?

Thanks again

Thanks for the help Chief. Any idea what type of lace to buy for 1 /32 lacing slit?

Thanks again

The best lace is Kangaroo, however, Tandy has some Calf Skin lace that is pretty decent if Kangaroo is out of range. Springfield Leather carries Kangaroo.

1/8" lace for 3/32" slits.

Chief

Hey Chief,

I have a related question...I just bought some of that calf lace from Tandy (this will be my first attempt at lacing anything). I have a 3/32 lacing thong that is angled. I bought 3/32" lace thinking that the sizes should match.

Will that combination still work or should I return the lace and get 1/8"?

Also, are there any good tutorials out there for newbies?

They will work, although the slanted thongs are more for Buck Stitch Lacing, normally you want to use horizontal slits for double loop, you can use holes but the slits are preferred. Nothing wrong with either way slits or holes, most prefer slits for double loop although I've seen a ton of stuff laced with holes, I would punch 00 holes to use 3/32" lace if that's what you're going to do. The proper lacing thong for 3/32" lace would be the 3/32" thong. The way they make the lacing chisels the smallest is 3/32 and is designed for use with 3/32 lace, the 1/8 is designed to be used with 1/8" lace, sometimes we like to use 3/32" slits with 1/8" lace to make it a little tighter looking. Nothing wrong with either. I don't think I'd use an angled chisel, just me.

Chief

Hey Chief,

I have a related question...I just bought some of that calf lace from Tandy (this will be my first attempt at lacing anything). I have a 3/32 lacing thong that is angled. I bought 3/32" lace thinking that the sizes should match.

Will that combination still work or should I return the lace and get 1/8"?

Also, are there any good tutorials out there for newbies?

Joe,

Here is a tutorial on the web about lacing slits and how to do them. There are videos on Youtube on double loop lacing and Mexican Round Braid Lacing, some people find them helpful.

Here's the tutorial: http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page99.html

Here's a tutorial on double loop lacing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPY-T6yOSLo

Hope that helps,

Chief

Chief's da man when it comes to lacing (and lots of other stuff, too)! :yes:

Michelle

Chief's da man when it comes to lacing (and lots of other stuff, too)! :yes:

Michelle

I agree. After seeing the stuff he posts up I knew if I wanted to ask someone for advice it would be him.