Redhairing

Help With Sewing Shearling To Veg. Tan Backing...

I am making a handbag with a large flap. I'd like to have the face of the flap in shearling stitched to a identical sized backing of 3 oz. veg. tan. I know to cut the shearling from the flesh side with a razor so as not to trim off the hair with the cut and I thought I would then "barge" it to the leather flap before stitching. I am saddle stitching, no machine. I want my pretty stitching visible on the back of the flap but am hoping the nap of the shearling will hide the stitches from the top side. I haven't ordered the shearling yet so I have not experimented to see how possible this might be to pull off. Can I find the stitching holes from the shearling side? Will those stitches disappear like I want them to do? Or should I just decoratively saddle stitch the edge of the veg tan piece and only glue the shearling to it? Any help would be much appreciated!

When I hand stitch shearling on saddle skirts, I take my scissors and go along the edge of the shearling trimming the wool fibers short about a quarter inch in from the edge. The stitch line in right at the edge of the trimmed fibers so you can see the stitching holes for stitching. It looks very nice when done.

You could give it a try on a test piece before trying it on the handbag maybe.

Thank you for your reply. Your technique sounds like the way to go...ordering a bag of shearling scrap today to practice. Thank you so much!

I realize this is an older post hope you can still use this tip. I read this in the Al Stohlman Hand Sewing Leather book P 51. He said that the best way to hand stich shearling is, use waxed thread as normal but first take a piece of brown paper bag and rub it up and down on the thread as to burnish it. This makes the thread hard and the shearling won't stick to it or pull it through the awl hole. I am also new to this, never tried sewing shearling. I am looking to buy some and give it a try on a harness that I am trying to make. Good luck

Jim

Let me know how it went.