Twisted 66

The First Piece Is Always The Learning Piece..'sigh"..advice?

so I took a shot at a weight lifting belt..( woman's belt size small) used a sole bend from tandy that was on sale..1/4 inch thick. I cut it, tooled it, dyed it, oiled it and then sealed it...then of course hand stitched it ( which has taken me forever and a day it seems)..and assembled it. I have a few issues however :/ the buckle prongs are a little stiff but I'm guessing that will loosen up..not to worried there..what I AM worried about is the leather itself is cracking!!?? can anyone tell me why and what I can do if anything at this point? I have sewn on a piece of suede to the back and the entire piece is done...or so I thought.... help would be hugely appreciated....anyone..someone...:/

post-49853-0-12886800-1425502062_thumb.j

post-49853-0-33204000-1425502064_thumb.j

post-49853-0-10181400-1425502067_thumb.j

post-49853-0-76805100-1425502408_thumb.j

post-49853-0-37395800-1425502425_thumb.j

Did you use some sort of lacquer to finish it? Is it an old piece of leather? If it's old leather, try throwing some Dr. Jackson's on it or Neatsfoot oil or something. It's probably really dry. The conditioner will soften it up.

Just out of curiosity, what was the deal with the veg tan? Was it sitting somewhere for ages?

nope..no laquer..used resolene..50/50 mix..couple of light coats..the leather I got from tandy on sale..figured perfect thickness for a weight lifting belt for a friend of mine. can I use neatsfoot oil on it even after it's been dyed and sealed and finished? I have some Dr.Jacksons pure neatsfoot oil ..would I just wash down the belt perhaps to help remove the wax finish I put on it then neatsfoot oil? or just put the neatsfoot oil on as is..

Edited by Twisted 66

The way leather is tanned can make it more likely crack, it may or may not be the reason you are experiencing cracking. thick leathers could crack more. Some of the budget leather tannery may skip out on some chemicals or steps other tanneries add in the tanning process. There are 10-20+ chemicals in some cases needed from start to finish. Everything can be controlled from the ph level of the water, softening the leather, evening the tone.. More expensive leathers have better characteristics generally.

You could try next time to oil the leather, dye, add more oil and finish to prevent cracking as best as possible.