Sign in to follow this  
sheowahya

group activity

I have heard how leather crafting is a dying art, and how we should take the chance to introduce it whenever possible. Well, I tried to do my little part to introduce the craft to newcomers.

As some of you know, I recently moved from the USA to Australia. The company I work for sponsored a "Girls Night In". That's a fundraising event for the Cancer Council. The ladies decided they wanted to spend their night in learning a new craft. I was asked (more like shang highed) because I'm the new kid on the block, to share my leather working experience (limited as it may be) with the ladies. I wasn't really prepared for this and I'm not a very good teacher, but I gave about a 45 minute talk on the basics of casing (how/why) swivel knife use, and what various other tools are, how they're used, and why. Then it was on to the creative part of the evening. I had parts/pieces pre-cut for various small projects. Among those chosen were: bookmark, solid wrist band, mystery braid wrist band, luggage tag, coin purse, and a hair bun holder. Everyone had a GREAT time, took out some frustration from the work day :head_hurts_kr: and went home with a great project that they were proud to show off. I think there will be pictures in the next company newsletter. It was suggested that I contact the local adult learning center to offer to teach a mini class... about 8 weeks. I'm not that good, but it was nice of them to suggest it.

I just wanted to let everyone know that anyone can introduce the craft to "newbies" we never know when the next great leather craftsman will be born!!

Cheers

:cheers:

Marilyn :cowboy:

Victoria, Australia

Good job, glad to hear it went well for you. Similiar thing happened here when my friend decided that all this leather stuff I was getting into sounded cool and wanted to be there when I was practicing so he could watch. I would tell him what the steps were and he would follow along trying to learn as well.

I need to find a saddle maker that will teach me as some of the ranch people around here are telling me letherworkers are so scarce around here that it's practically impossible to find someone to fix tack. I can just imagine a noob like me being one of the only saddle repair people around here, we'd be in some trouble. :evillaugh:

I have heard how leather crafting is a dying art, and how we should take the chance to introduce it whenever possible. Well, I tried to do my little part to introduce the craft to newcomers.

As some of you know, I recently moved from the USA to Australia. The company I work for sponsored a "Girls Night In". That's a fundraising event for the Cancer Council. The ladies decided they wanted to spend their night in learning a new craft. I was asked (more like shang highed) because I'm the new kid on the block, to share my leather working experience (limited as it may be) with the ladies. I wasn't really prepared for this and I'm not a very good teacher, but I gave about a 45 minute talk on the basics of casing (how/why) swivel knife use, and what various other tools are, how they're used, and why. Then it was on to the creative part of the evening. I had parts/pieces pre-cut for various small projects. Among those chosen were: bookmark, solid wrist band, mystery braid wrist band, luggage tag, coin purse, and a hair bun holder. Everyone had a GREAT time, took out some frustration from the work day :head_hurts_kr: and went home with a great project that they were proud to show off. I think there will be pictures in the next company newsletter. It was suggested that I contact the local adult learning center to offer to teach a mini class... about 8 weeks. I'm not that good, but it was nice of them to suggest it.

I just wanted to let everyone know that anyone can introduce the craft to "newbies" we never know when the next great leather craftsman will be born!!

Cheers

:cheers:

Marilyn :cowboy:

Victoria, Australia

Hi Marilyn and welcome to OZ. I to have just started a class at the local Baptist church, got hood winked as well. "Chat & Choose" is run as a community service. I had 6 women and 2 men, all over 60, I guess. They all started with and two finished a bookmark. This is because I am new to this and my brain gets a bit fuzzy. But all went well and I'll be back there Tuesday. Leatherwork is also taught, used as therapy/ rehab at our local hospital. Darryl

Sounds like a great time was had by all and you got the leather word out!!!

I teach several of my son's friends to make stuff and I be teaching the leatherwork merit badge at a Boy Scout Fall Camp this Saturday thru Tuesday.

One of my son's friends made a blue suede corset for her Ren Fest costume (shown in the reenactment forum section) and now she is making presents for each of her family members for Christmas!! Not little stuff either...a leather bookcover for her mother, a cartridge case for her father's hunting belt, etc etc

It is so thrilling when somebody picks it up and keeps going!!!

William