Crazylegsmurphy

Rolled Hide, And Warped Edges

Hello,

This is my first post, so hello to you all. :)

I have a 9-10oz hide, a few 8oz hides, and a few 4-7oz hides I just purchased for a few projects. If I store them rolled for a few weeks will they have any issues laying flat once unrolled?

Also, the 9-10oz hide has amfew places where the edges are warped/curved. How can I best go wbout flattening those spots out so they are usable with a pattern?

Thanks,

CLM

Like this?

post-36503-0-56503600-1426875967_thumb.j

Hey Red Cent,

Yup, they look pretty much exactly like that. There are a few edges that are just warped and wrinkled. The leather is still perfect, but putting a pattern on it would be very difficult with it not being flat.

That's mostly just a part of life with leather. The ends generally won't be as nice as the center. If it is stiff and has creases, when it gets to you, they are not going to come out. You can attempt to incorporate them and sometimes you will have some success but I find more often than not it isn't worth it, that leather will be have imperfections that will cause problems.

Its like knots in wood, the leather will be hard to cut, won't accept dye as well and could lead to irregularities in the finish if you are dying it. The tooling will be more shallow in that area if you are doing that. Its really just more mess than it is worth.

You can save a bit of leather there but if incorperating one faulty part causes the larger project to get scraped in the end, you just wasted a whole lot more time, effort, and material than you would have saved.

Well, I sure am glad I strolled in here! I was just thinking of this issue and as a new guy myself, I'm doubly glad to see a new guy getting some great advice from another new guy!