rtmind

Introduction And Oddball Holster

Hi folks, I've been following the forum for awhile but never thought i had anything worthwhile to share. I thing i have something today. I started dong leather work as a hobby 2 years ago, mostly sheaths for my knife collection, but will try anything bags, holsters, sheaths, coasters, you name it. This is actually my 2nd holster. A friend wanted something special for his S&W 1917, a mashup between a modern self retaining and a classic safari style holster, and he wanted to be able to unsnap the flap and move it out of the way to use the speed holster. I started with a molding a horsehide inner holster, then wrapped it in 7 oz basketweave cowhide. Took about 2 months of evening to get everything layed out and working together the way i wanted. The flap was the hardest part. Along with the front snap, there is also a rear snap and reinforced pivot point. By unsnapping the forn and rear snaps, you can pivot the flap out of the way and resnap it with a hidden snap under the flap and use the speed holster. Because i had to cut so much of the top of the flap out for the belt and hammer, i ended up reinforcing the flap with horsehide, which gave me a great place to add the hidden snap. The last big piece is the belt loops, by leaving one side unsewn along with the 2 slots the holster can be carried at a 105 degree cross draw or verticle on the right hip. Not my idea, i saw it on another holster and my buddy loved the idea. I made a matching gunbelt and sheath for his custom hunter, but forgot to get photos. Hope you like it. I would appreciate any feedback. Randypost-49152-0-68781200-1427836917_thumb.jpost-49152-0-10979400-1427836932_thumb.jpost-49152-0-35768100-1427836946_thumb.j