lyther

What Kind Of Leather Is This?

Hello everyone.

Glad to be able to be apart of this great forum here. I have some questions regarding materials being used and the surfaces / treatment to leather that gives these particular shoes their appearance / smooth texture. I do not want PU leather, I want to know if this kind of shoe(s) are using legitimate leather (which judging by the price of their products) i hope it is genuine leather.

I am assuming full grain cow leather, but the additional surface and any oil, wax, or anything else that may be done to give it a more "smooth" effect vs. the grainy look is what I'm seeking knowledge about. I hope someone can help out and I appreciate any insight anyone is willing to offer. I have attached several shoes, 2 different styles (one is black/blue) and the other is black/white/red. Are they the same kind of leather? Same surface? Any insight is appreciated very much!

I am sorry for the very amateurish questions and my inability to answer this question myself. Before saying what I think it is, I want to hear more knowledgeable answers before I look silly!

Best regards,

-LY

post-62345-0-30450700-1431219699_thumb.j

post-62345-0-10101400-1431219700_thumb.j

post-62345-0-10510500-1431219728_thumb.j

post-62345-0-97558200-1431219728_thumb.j

post-62345-0-50214200-1431219729_thumb.j

post-62345-0-87526100-1431219729_thumb.j

post-62345-0-36227600-1431219743_thumb.j

post-62345-0-96449200-1431219743_thumb.j

Edited by lyther

Given the look of it, the only thing keeping me from saying "vinyl" is that you called it leather, first.

Methinks there's too much charge for a brand in those pics.

Given the look of it, the only thing keeping me from saying "vinyl" is that you called it leather, first.

Methinks there's too much charge for a brand in those pics.

Hi TwinOaks, thanks for your response! Are you saying if its not "vinyl" then its probably synthetic (PU leather)?

I was told that the ones that are Red/Black/White are 1st layer cow leather after dye and special treatment to get to this color and texture.

By first layer, I believe they mean Nappa leather. Anyone else's opinion?

You might try Shell Cordovan leather

Having grown up with a family business that manufactured clogs and shoes, I have to say that by looking at the pictures alone won't really give you any good answer. Why? Because these kind of product/advertising pictures photography is made to look nice. Not to reveal any trade information. And what kind of leather that is used is as broad as there are brands/manufacturers.

When you produce shoes (I guess this is what you're interested in) depending on what scale we are talking about and what the budget is, you'll most likely to visit different leather suppliers that will show you a vast range of leathers. In the end what will matter is the look you're after, the economical restrains and what is on offer. You'll be surprised how much cheap leather that can look expensive and how much expensive leather can look cheap. Not to talk about all non leather materials that can be used.

On top of all this there are loads of 'speciality' leathers just for the shoe manufacture, market (some leathers or skins have a plastic surface, some are treated for oil and fire resistance, some are approved to be used for shoes to be used in hospitals), likewise as there are special leathers for the automotive interior market and for the furniture market. To cover them here would be almost impossible.That's why there are suppliers. It's their job to supply you with the leather you're after and those are the ones you should contact to get information about what leather YOU need for YOUR shoes.

Then you'll need to find suppliers for all the other material, find a shoe manufacturer, get price quotes, haggle, have everyone to agree and approve of every step and what part they play, sign contracts and insurance, make sure that there is a timetable that suits everyone, cover costs of transportation, stocking, import and export taxes, customs, unexpected costs, delivery to retailers ( because I assume you already HAVE customers for your shoes...),

and there you have some of everything that goes in to have shoes made today. Then of course there are the marketing and future sales and so on.

Good Luck.