Wolf

Old foot treadle type Singer sewing machine

Please everyone, give me some feed back about this type of sewing machine for sewing leather. I was thinking about purchasing an old foot treadle type Singer sewing machine for sewing leather since I don't have a lot of money to purchase a Juki or an Artisan sewing machine.

I don't have to worry about burning up a motor and someone told me that this type of machine is a real work horse.

Any feed back you can give me would be much appreciated!

Wolf

You're probably thinking of a Singer 29 class machine, usually called a patch machine. They are workhorses, but their suitability depends on your intended use. I haven't owned one, so take this with a grain of salt, but having gone down the same investigative path ...

29 class machines exist in several variations, but most you are likely to find are built and set up as light leather stitchers (say 1/4" or so max). They are used heavily for repair work on garment weight leather and for sewing patches. The cylinder arm is very slender (not much support), the bobbin is small (not good for larger articles), and although it sews a lockstitch, the machine is compromised for general purpose use by its ability to sew in any direction. While the last is terrific for repair and patches, it doesn't necessarily let you sew long, dead straight lines very easily. They have a reputation for being fussy when it comes to changing set-ups (different threads and tensions). I've yet to see a used one that didn't have the daylights beat out of it. Bottom line - unless your primary uses are repair and patching, keep looking. 29s aren't general use leather machines.

If you do decide on a 29, you may be looking for awhile to find a good, tight used one. You can still buy them new from a number of importers, but then you're going to be creeping up into the price range you're trying to avoid.

Bill

The Northern Minnesota Camp my parents worked at and I got to attend had on old Singer Sewing Treadle Machine was used to sew leather straps and canvas together, e.g. Duluth Pack repair. The one modification they had made was to put a very hefty electric motor on it since the treadle did not develop enough force on the needle to get through the leather strap. You might want to contact Camp Kooch-i-ching at Kooch-i-ching.org to see if they still have that machine. I know they have been upgrading the facility and the more modern packs no longer use leather straps.

Thank you Bill for your input about this type of sewing machine. I really appreciate it!WolfThank you Bill B. for your input and information. I really appreciate it!WolfThank you Bill B. for your input and information. I really appreciate it!Wolf

If you are talking about a Singer 29-xx, a Adler 30 or a Pilgrim Patch machine then you are going in the wrong direction. They are always set up with 46 or 69 thread and once setup, you almost always leave them that way. You have to mess with them too much if you change anything. They are almost indispensable for sewing a patch on an arm of a jacket or a leg of pants, but you want a table if you do a lot of jacket backs. If you are thinking af a treadle machine with a treadle that rocks back and forth, those are not generally slow (hence powerful) enough for sewing heavier leather. Treadle machines that sew leather are usually pedal types and go a lot slower and generate more power. If you are in southern Tx, you might want to go over to Campbell Bosworth and ask them for a little advise. They probably won't have anything in your price range, but might be able to show you a few things and point you to an auction in your area. You haven't really told us what you are going to sew, so it is a little hard to give advice on machine selection; depending on what you want to do, a patch machine could be the right machine, but as a general purpose machine, not usually.

There were treadle machines in the West and mid-West for sewing leather as early as the 1880s, these were monsters that took four strong men to move and will today bring 4 or 5 times (or more) what they cost new.

Art

Please everyone, give me some feed back about this type of sewing machine for sewing leather. I was thinking about purchasing an old foot treadle type Singer sewing machine for sewing leather since I don't have a lot of money to purchase a Juki or an Artisan sewing machine.

I don't have to worry about burning up a motor and someone told me that this type of machine is a real work horse.

Any feed back you can give me would be much appreciated!

Wolf

Thank you Art for help and advice. The types of leather that I am wanting to sew are: garment leather, english bridle which has been skived down to 1/8" thickness and some vegetan leather which ranges from 1/8" up to 3/8" thickness. Maybe some skirting as well. This is for belts, handbags, wallets, armor and other misc. items.

Do you by chance know of any one who might be willing to take monthly payments on a new sewing machine? I think from all the advice I have been given that I would be going down the wrong road if I purchased a used treadle type sewing machine.

Thanks,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

A good machine for you might be a Singer 153W102 or even a 155. These machines generally sell with motor and stand for around $500, anything less than that is a good buy if condition is good and some have condition problems so be careful. Credit is of course a matter of your credit scores and ability to pay. I don't think any supplier wants to extend credit themselves, however it never hurts to try. For credit, your personal bank is always the best bet, they know you best and extend credit to customers with quick decisions, especially on small amounts.

Art

Thank you Art for help and advice. The types of leather that I am wanting to sew are: garment leather, english bridle which has been skived down to 1/8" thickness and some vegetan leather which ranges from 1/8" up to 3/8" thickness. Maybe some skirting as well. This is for belts, handbags, wallets, armor and other misc. items.

Do you by chance know of any one who might be willing to take monthly payments on a new sewing machine? I think from all the advice I have been given that I would be going down the wrong road if I purchased a used treadle type sewing machine.

Thanks,

Wolf

Thank you Art for all your help! Hopefully I can locate one of those Singer sewing machines. Its nice to know that there are people out there such as yourself who are willing to share their knowledge with others! Again, Thank you!

Wolf

Thank you Art for all your help! Hopefully I can locate one of those Singer sewing machines. Its nice to know that there are people out there such as yourself who are willing to share their knowledge with others! Again, Thank you!

Wolf

I have a guys name and # here close to Memphis with over 1000 commercial sewing machines. He proabably has a machine like you are looking for. I went yesterday and bought some needles for my tippman from him a lot cheaper than Tandy or Tippman either one. I plan to buy an electric machine from him soon. PM me and I'll give you his #

Edited by rwc

There is a place in Tioga, Texas. Texas Leather Machinery. Ron Burkey 940-437-5400 or you can call Panhandle Leather Company in Amarillo, Texas. Jim Blain Kenney 806-373-0535