Sign in to follow this  
SteubenCounty

Paint on jacket. How do I refinish

Have a brown leather jacket that I got paint on (twice) recently.

The first time at the plant a helper tried to get the paint off with an alcohol pad - that's when I realized the dye used was alcohol based. That left the jacket blotched with spots where the dye was removed, looks like it has a severe case of chickenpox. Then the right side of the jacket got into a two part insulating paint, was able to get this off with whatever remover they had but some of the color came out - not nearly as much as the first time.

I now have a rather ratty looking jacket colorwise. I don't know if I should try a spray dye product or a liquid with a brush. I know I have to clean the entire jacket with deglazer (would mineral spirits work?) are there any other steps? I can put extra dye on the light areas and feel I can feather the color.

I have never tried anything of this magnitude before only done simple dye touchups on shoes/belts. Don't know a lot about the different leather products and their interaction.

If it helps the jacket came from JC Penney. The business I was visiting replaced the jacket with another one but I like the style of the old one better and want to save it if possible.

thanks for any assistance on this.

Nate