Amanda Powell

Refinishing Breastcollar?

I recently got an older breastcollar which, at one point, was dyed black. The dye is rubbed off on the more raised areas. It looks like it also had a smei glazed finish. Is it possible to stripe the finish and dye from the leather without ruining it? The leather looks like it's been fairly well maintained, although it's a bit dry right now. I'm holding off on conditioning at the moment until I know the best course of action. I'm not interested in re-dying it black (in the ideal world, it would match my very dark oil saddle) even though I know that would be easier. I've restored old leather before, but I've never dealt with dyes, so like I said, I don't even know if this is something doable. I'd appreciate any insight into this!! Thanks!

Amanda, simply put, there are too many variables to how the piece was made stained and top coated, to be able to definitively answer your question without knowing these. If it were me, first I would thoroughly clean it then I would go over it with some lacquer thinner on a piece of sheepskin fleece (what I use because I have lots of it. A soft cloth will do) to get any (or all) of the finish and dye off that you can. Now after it dries, You will see what you have. Since you said that the dye is partially rubbed off, it may be that the original dying job did not penetrate too deep and you will be able to remove it. If that is the case, then you are free to finish it to the color that you wish. If not, then you will have to experiment with oils and dye to achieve what it is that you wish, or close to it. There is always the possibility that you will not be able to remove any more of the stain/dye. At this point it is what it is, and you will have to determine the final out come. Good luck, post a picture of how it turns out.

Bob

Amanda, simply put, there are too many variables to how the piece was made stained and top coated, to be able to definitively answer your question without knowing these. If it were me, first I would thoroughly clean it then I would go over it with some lacquer thinner on a piece of sheepskin fleece (what I use because I have lots of it. A soft cloth will do) to get any (or all) of the finish and dye off that you can. Now after it dries, You will see what you have. Since you said that the dye is partially rubbed off, it may be that the original dying job did not penetrate too deep and you will be able to remove it. If that is the case, then you are free to finish it to the color that you wish. If not, then you will have to experiment with oils and dye to achieve what it is that you wish, or close to it. There is always the possibility that you will not be able to remove any more of the stain/dye. At this point it is what it is, and you will have to determine the final out come. Good luck, post a picture of how it turns out.

Bob

Thanks! This gives me a good idea of where to start!