Trox

Interesting Splitting Machine Modifiaction.

I found (stole) this picture on Ebay of an interesting Splitting machine modification. I believe it's an CS Osborne # 87 wood bottom splitting machine, or made of an different maker. There are no information about it, it's for sale together with a sewing machine and a lot of leather tools. The wooden base is replaced with this steel stand and it looks as the skiving depth are controlled by a foot pedal. Thought, that is guessing, because this was the only pictures of it. Anyway, I think it deserved some attention here. It will perhaps be for some inspiration to them who has one like it or simmilar. It looks like you can skive and split with this using both hands pulling the leather true. I like this modification. I do not know who made it, but it's a nice job.

Torpost-10237-0-65614600-1437699923_thumb.j

Yes, you are right it is a release. When you push down the pedal the roller moves downwards, the spring keeps the roller up against the adjustable stopping screw. Anyway, this will now allow you to use both your hands pulling the leather true. Before you had to keep one hand on the adjustment lever to keep the roller up against the stopping screw (on the right in the pic.)If the spring is strong enough you can also make a skive, when slowly releasing your foot pressure.