scwhite

Should I Buy A Kit

Hello,

I am a potter and I want to make a leather case for a pottery hip flask as a first leather project. The closest thing to visualize is a leather camera case (that directly attaches to camera itself, not the carry bag for it and the lenses and such) if your not familiar with the form, the shape will be very similar. I am trying to find traction on this project and I am trying to decide between

1) buying a $80 started kit from Tandy and doing the enclosed projects to get familiar with the process.

2) researching and buying the specific tools I need and just jump in on the project itself.

Any advice is appreciated. Although I do want to learn how to carve and stamp this project would just have solid leather as a start. The bottom would need to be thick and stiff because it may be set on many surfaces and the sides can be thinner but sturdy with a place to attach a strap on each side.

I always advise #2.

The tools in those kits are pretty low quality, and there's more junk than what you need. Start small, but if your hip flask idea isn't too hard, it might take some trial and error, but you could be going right into that. If you have grand plans, it might be advisable to warm up on simpler projects. Break it down into processes, and what you'll need to accomplish that.

Cutting - you can do a lot with just a utility knife.

Sewing - That always starts with Al Stohlman's book, also a few harness needles, sewing awl, thread, groover, and overstitch wheel.

Lacing and buckstitching - chisels, lace, and flat or round needles.

Rivets and hardware - a rotary punch tool and necessary setters.

Stamping and tooling - a starter kit of a few stamps and a swivel knife, also a lot of practice leather.

Finishing - dyes, conditioners, and top coat varnishes - there's a lot to choose from.

Obviously, you can omit or break down a lot of these. If you're using finished leather, you can't dye it and there's no need for top coat, but that also means you can't stamp it. You'll need unfinished tooling leather for that.

Thanks Bad Hide,

You know I don't think its too complicated to just jump in on as its just a traced bottom and a wrap that is attached to the bottom and has a place on each side for a strap to attach. The flask it will hold is 5" tall, 7" wide and about 2" depth. The case is only going to come up about 3" and taper to each side with a loop for a strap to attach.

I would want to make the first few very basic with no stamps at all and I will use finished leather. From your post I gather would need

Utility Knife

Harness Needles

sewing awl

thread

groover

overstitch wheel

rotary punch tool

setter

and

Al Stohlman's stitching book:

The Art of making Leather Cases volume 1

what other more generic tools would you recommend?