flhfxd

Wtb Hole Chisel Tool

New guy here looking for a hole chisel tool. I will not buy from Asian suppliers as I will not fund child labour / terrorism and the like. If you have a good used stitching chisel kicking around that you can spare (hoping for one with interchangeable bits - 1/2/3/4 prongs) then I am happy to give it a second life. If this post is in the wrong section or if this site doesn't condone WTB posts than pls accept my apologies.

Cheers, Flhfxd.

This isn't a comment to stir the pot. Unless you want to spend the money on a Blanchard or Dixon set of irons, I think you'd be surprised that you are "funding terrorism" with any other stitching irons. Also, you can get the terrorism funded stitching irons/chisels pretty cheap FWIW.

Sorry, not trying to start a rant, but your comment about child labour / terrorism is just funny. And, as I can tell by your spelling of "labor", you aren't from America (most likely), so what type of items do you like to buy? I would say "buy American", but I think that's out? Is it buy all English stuff?

Will he buy a used Asian tool from us? Is that ok?

Will he buy a used Asian tool from us? Is that ok?

I guess it depends on what type of terrorism we are funding in the US? You know we hear much about the caliphate trying to establish themselves in Hong Kong or Tokyo you know...

Whoa there folks!

Sorry if I may have set some of you off! I'm just looking to save a couple of bucks and / or recycle some tools (USA made (?)) that might be sitting idle. I checked Ebay and found lots of stuff that is priced at about 30% of the cost of products made in North America. Great deal? May be, but also likely hastily produced with comprimised quality and by who? And where's the money going? I surely don't know. Do you? If its made in China, do you suppose its made by some successful, family raising person with a retirement plan and a benefits package? I wouldn't bet on it. So although my choice of words may tend towards a somewhat "worse case" scenario, I think I'll stick to my plan and try to use / recycle products that are made here, on our shores, and spend my money in North America. Really didn't expect to join your forum in this manner. But it's ok. At least you know where I stand. Ha! Canadian, by the way.

Take it easy.

It's not that we are trying to bash you for your comments. I'm born and raised in the USA, deep south. I have no ties to any country other than this one. But, your comment about child labour and funding terrorism were out of line. I'm not sure of any US made stitching irons, though there could have been some old ones back in the day. For the money, you surely can't beat a good seat of irons from goodsjapan or leathercrafttools. As for "American Made" products, you can't assume that the product is made by "some successful, family raising person with a retirement plan and a benefits package". You'll find a really good group of folks here, myself included I like to think, but you must be willing to take it on the chin sometimes too!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a tool made in china, japan, france, etc...if it gets the job done for you, there it is.

I will take it on the chin. I admit I have no recent experience with this industry. I signed up here so I could get answers to help me create some fun projects. I remember enjoying this immensely when I was a kid. I assumed there was (is?) a made in the USA manufacturer of tools and related gear? When I compared prices of "known" suppliers to offshore suppliers of tools and gear, I believed that this was possibly another example of counterfeit or knock off products. Not trying to offend anyone. Just doing my part to help our own economies.

Cheers.

No worries...our economy needs stimulating anyway! That said, CS Osborne is an American manufacturer. I think they make some pricking irons, but I'm not sure. For fun, Google Bruce Johnson leather tools. He's a collector and seller of vintage leather tools, mostly of American origin, though he usually has some Blanchard tolls as well. Not cheap, but worth every penny he charges. He's also a member here and you can find him and PM here if you have questions.