Madebynick

Folio/case/notebook With Wrap Around Zip

Hello everyone. I hope you're doing well.

I'm hoping for some advice in solving my zip installation problems as shown below. This is the first zip I've fitted, and although it turned out ok, it's just ok, and needs to be better.

In brief, and for some background, the case you see below was hand stitched with a 2oz leather exterior, a stiffener board, and then a veg tan lining of approx 3oz.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to how best to fit a zipper that wraps around the sides of a product, specifically where the zipper and product meet at 90 degrees. More specifically, I'm looking for advice as to how to tackle corners in this situation.

I realise in my model that I've attached the zip to close to the edge of the product at the corners, which explains why the gap between the front and back cover are not even all the way around. This I can solve in version two. What I'm not sure about is how to avoid those puckers / pleats at the corners. When I examine commercially available products like this, I notice that there do not seem to be any pleats at the corners, and the zipper fits (in many cases) perfectly.

Secondly, when making something like this, how do you all ensure that the outer and inner components align perfectly, so that your stitches are equidistant from the edges? In my case, I pre-marked my stitches, punch a few using my awl, and used a handful of needles to align the components. This was semi-successful. Does anyone have a better solution?

I've often been able to solve problems like this by finding a YouTube video or two showing a professional making something similar. This time however I'm stuck for resources. Help!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some suggestions.

Nick

www.madebynick.co.uk

Forbes%201%201_zpsqrrxekkg.jpg

Forbes%203%201_zpsfvy0zdxf.jpg

Forbes%204%201_zpsn6nmv40y.jpg

859f20ac-fc41-4ecb-98ea-1b5d854bd851_zps

Forbes%201_zpseyceuhih.jpg

Nice work.

I've used a few zippers but not quite like this.

Can you try a smaller zipper? I can't tell what size this is, maybe a 6...if so, try a 4. Is it too long?

Did you take the zipper apart when you put it together?

If I were making this I'd glue all the pieces together then mark the stitches from the red side. Except for the interior pockets.

Great website by the way...cool stuff.

Edited by thefanninator