rogart

Homebrew ?

I have search the net for an english word for this . In Sweden we call it "narvsvärta" . Its' vinegar that i boil and then put a steel wool or something that will rust in it . It will stay in the vinegar for about a week . Then when i dye the leather with it . It becomes black . A reaction with the acid in the leather .

What it's called in English?

Search for vinegaroon dye :)

Okay . Wasn't more difficult then that . Thanks . There is more to read in english then in swedish .

Okay . Wasn't more difficult then that . Thanks . There is more to read in english then in swedish .

Doesn't help that vinegroon is an invented word some saddle maker made up back in the dusty old days to sound more professional. "Gently immersed in a vinegroon bath" sounded so much better than "Dipped in rusty acid"

Worked great on horse leather .My vinegroon dye .Black as a cole mine .perfect .The smell is not so nice but reckons that goes away after some time .

In the old days it was generally called blacking or harness blacking and sometimes vinegar blacking to differentiate between it and other blacking compounds that used other material like lamp black and logwood.

If you search around on archive.org there are pdf's of books from the 1800's and early 1900's with recipes............for every kind of leather treatment imaginable.....

Found on archive.org. Here you go:

"Manufacture of lubricants, Shoe Polishes and Leather Dressings" published 1906.

Be careful, this could lead you down a very deep rabbit hole......

Enjoy.

Edited by TinkerTailor