tanda4

If You Are Using Copper Rivets What Finish Buckle/snap/ring, Etc. Do You Use?

I want to use copper rivets, but I am having a hard time finding copper belt buckles. What finish do you use?

In general use the same "colour" - yellow/copper/brass, or white/silver/stainless.

Copper isn't a great metal for making buckles, for the same reason it makes great rivets, which is its softness.

Cheers!

If i have to mix and match I pick 2 and be selective so it looks like you mean it. It is all about balance. For instance, I have found buckles with brass frames and stainless tongues. This let me use brass d rings and nickel rivets and it looked great. I have also swapped the copper burrs with stainless washer on copper rivets to do the same thing (washer holes were not quite right, harder to set for sure). Don't be afraid of multi tone metals. Look at some of those old beautiful sewing machines with brass and nickel everywhere, a little gold paint here, a pinstripe everywhere, and black. You get the picture.

If you look up copper plating on youtube, there are some methods that are relatively safe and do-able at home. Jewelery and electronics guys both do it.

I get raw brass all the time, never antique. I just clean all the hardware i want antique, making sure to strip the lacquer, And throw them in the "nasty jar" of salt and malt vinegar. You want enough in there that you can wet down the parts by shaking it but they are not submerged when sitting. The corrosion happens when the wet parts are exposed to oxygen. Cap it, shake it and then throw it on a heat register for a while with the cap just loosened (don't want pressure build-up). Shake it up and open it 3 times a day until you get good patina. Rinse and laquer.

Also, no one says that you have to use the backs that came with the fronts. I have used rivet backs on snaps so that it looks consistent on the inside, I mix and match material and size for fronts and backs, if the post is the same diameter you are good to go.