Oapiastos88

Leather From Scratch Newbie Question!

Hello guys, really big newbie here.. But I love leather work non the less and need to learn!.. Ok so my situation is this, I have a deer hide. It has been tanned ,from what I know well, so I'm left with a kinda raw white leather. I want to eventually make a belt/ wallet out of the hide. I want it to look right with your rustic coloring and mybe an engraving . What are my next steps? Do I dye the hide and how ? Do I water proof it first ?? Help! What steps should I take to achieve my goal?

You first need to know HOW it was tanned. If it's a 'raw white leather', that gets really stiff when dry, you've likely got a deer rawhide.....which is one of the steps to getting the hide to leather, but it isn't done yet.

check into that, and let us know

Good morning, the hide was chemically tanned with a tanning kit off a taxidermy website ( lutan f is the name of the kit). So essentially the product was skinned, fleshed, salted ,pickled, neutralized ,put into a tanning agent, then softened with a softening oil. It is soft and has gotten passed the stage of a stiff raw hide.