Gibbor

Applying Wax To The Surface Leather

I had a question about the wax (and mystery substance added to the wax) that was applied to the belt in this video;

At 2:38 in, you can see that pieces of wax (bee's wax?) are being chipped off and subsequently added to a pot along with the "mystery" substance pored from a bottle into a cap and then added to the wax. It appears as though this wax is then melted and mixed and ultimately applied to the surface of the belt. Once the wax is applied to the belt it is then rubbed into the leather with some sort of cloth (wool?).

I was hoping that someone could provide further info and explanation on this technique. I like the idea of using wax to protect my leather pieces from a more "natural" point of view.

Your help is appreciated!!

You can also just purchase Feibing's Aussie, it is a blend of beeswax, oils and other conditioners, does a great job.

Chief

I have heard 50/50, however i have also heard of guys using more or less oil to adjust consistency and also for the temperature it will be used at. If you are using it in a colder environment, the thinner consistency will absorb better. Btw, snowseal is parrafin and petrolatum, which is basically the same thing, oil and wax.