Bryan1

New Member From Kanmantoo In South Australia

G'day Guy's,

Well finally after all the years of doing leatherwork I joined a forum and this one looks the goods from a first impression.

Anyway a bit about myself, I've been doing leatherwork since I was in high school back in the 70's and in 1996 after my mate who owned the tannery caved in and let me build a 12x6 metre shed out back. My mate asked me about making a round lace and we tried a few different hides where we found kangaroo hide was the strongest and best to use. It didn't take long to gets some sales happening and i was making around 2,000 metres a week to keep up with demand. I also made industrial bootlaces using cowhide splits and that was a good seller to. Also did commissions making a wide variety of products.

All was going well until I got a couple of phonecalls, the first from the guy who was the main seller of an inferior round lace saying i WOULD sell of my product to him at a 1/4 of my wholesale price. Then the second call came from the company that ordered 2,000 pairs of industrial laces saying they can't buy of me anymore as our main suppliers will stop supply to us. I told them I had already made the lace and they would pay for the order regardless which they did. But that was the end of my main income so I decided to packup and go over to West Australia and work in the mines ( as I am a 1st class tradesman). I took everything with me, 11 boxed up pallets in total and they ended traveling a 1/3 around the country to where I settled in the north Western town of Pt Hedland. To cut that short I got married to a SA gal and she hated the town so I sold my house and we moved back to SA.

We bought the farm in '03 and with me still working I didn't have much time but I did get my cutting bench made 1,800x2,400mm with shelving underneath. The idea is when the MDF cutting board is too scored just turn it over and use the other side. When that one is scored up get a new boards then rinse and repeat.

Today I bought a new smart phone and rather than drive a 120 K round trip to pick it up with free postage it can come by snailmail. In time I will get a few pic's uploaded.

Anyway I'm glad to be part of this forum

Regards Bryan

Hello Bryan......and welcome to the forum. Do not forget to share photos of your work.