jckkid103

Question About Working With Stone Oiled Leather From Tandy

Hi,

I recently purchased stone oiled leather in a nice brown. It is about 4 oz and I am about to make my first satchel using this leather, because I love the rich color and feel to it. I am use to using veg. tanned leather and have some question concerning working with the stone oiled leather. Can I bevel and burnish the edges like I do when making a belt? If so, what size bevel do I use? Also, sometimes I use neetsfoot oil on veg. tanned leather, should I put any of this into the stone oiled leather because it seems pretty saturated to begin with. If not, then what do you suggest to use for keeping the leather from drying out over time. And my last question is, do you use any sort of finish on the stone oiled leather? (gloss or satin?) Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can burnish and bevel the edges but it can be a chore due to the thickness of 4oz leather. A Dremel with a small edge burnishing attachment works great for thin leather but a hand burnisher will work just fine. It also helps to gently secure the leather between two pieces of wood so it doesn't constantly bend back or wobble on you. Just make sure you put something between the leather and the wood so it doesn't scratch anything up.

I don't use the hand edge bevelers on really thin leather. I found it much easier to just get some sand paper and lightly rub the edges off before burnishing.I also do not apply any kind of finish to that style of leather since that can cause permanent discoloration and usually isn't necessary. The treatment process to achieve that kind of look crams the leather full of all kinds of wax and oils. I might do a very light coat to prevent moisture problems during shipping but that is all.

Plus stone oil leather is meant to fade into an antiqued look overtime so oiling it isn't a good idea.

Hope that helps!

Edited by barehandcustoms