tardis86

Vinegaroon Ruined Blueing On Customers Gun

So I made a holster for an old friend of mine I know from highschool. I used vinegaroon to dye the leather, I thought I neutralized it in the baking soda solution for plenty of time. The holster was all sealed and dried so I put the pistol in it and left it overnight, the next day I get ready to deliver the gun and pull it out of the holster and it ate away all the blueing. I felt like I was going to throw up when I saw it. I told him I would pay to fix it, and he was really cool about it. Hes in the screenprinting business and told me he has made way bigger mistakes. I still feel like a jerk though. He even said its better to make a mistake with him than some complete stranger.

I soaked the holster again in the baking soda solution for even longer. Now Im gonna let it dry and try it again before I get the gun fixed.

all input/ tips are welcome.

Did you wash the baking soda out? It might have been the baking soda that reacted with the bluing. I think most bluing methods involve some kind of pickle in an acid solution. You might not have just neutralised the vinegaroon with the soda, but also the blue?

Either way, tough result. My sympathies.

Edited by Martyn

Yea I gave it a good rinse too. Im thinking maybe I soaked the leather in the roon for too long, not really sure.

yea it wasn't taking so well right away, so I soaked it for a while.

Yea im hoping the holster isnt ruined as well.