rawcustom

Leather Recommendation for Knife Roll

Hello all, I've decided on a project for myself, to make a knife roll for my butcher knives. I have been looking at pictures and have some ideas on assembly, but I'm wondering what would be a good choice for leather. Most of my work deals with vegtan tooling leathers, but I'm thinking this project might be best suited to an oil tan or harness leather. 

I'll attach a couple pics from the internet on what my basic idea will be (my pattern will be a bit different but you get the idea), and appreciate any suggestions. 

kr1.jpg

kr2.jpg

Yeah, going with something other than veg-tan could save you a bunch of finish work in the end. I'm too stuck in the "everything must be carved and stamped" gear at the moment :)

That is a point. I was actually more concerned with the vegtan holding too much memory, that it would resist being rolled/unrolled. But I do agree with everything carved and stamped, sometimes and some items, less is more.