Sign in to follow this  
jleidel

Embossing with Book Press

A friend of mine had an old book press in his shop that he bought from an estate sale years ago.  When he found out I was looking for a shop press, it landed in my office.  I finally had a chance to try it out last weekend.  I used an 8" (diameter) Molon Labe sign made from 1/8" steel plate I had in the garage for the pressing.  As a first test, I cut out an insert that fits into the dash of my 2006 F250.  I was a little skeptical that I could get enough pressure with the book press to make a permanent mark, but it actually pressed relatively well.  I left it in the press for just over an hour before letting it dry and dying the embossed region black.  I've already ordered a pair of 1/4" plates cut to fit in the press for a better surface as well as some additional embossing plates (buddy owns a steel shop).  

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.jpg

a book press should work great. it gives an even pressure to any die.  cheers!

The only caveat is, the compression screw has a very wide pitch to it... which implies that there is very little mechanical advantage without putting some serious mojo on it.  If I decide to use this very often, I'll probably fabricate a separate stand for it with some large feet made from 1/2" steel plate. 

I use one of these to clamp my axe sheaths after gluing. Never thought it would emboss...HMMMM