art23

Vergez blanchard plough gauge

Hello everyone I'm thinking of buying a vergez blanchard plough gauge. I just wanted to know if people recommend it. I had a tandy draw gauge and didn't like it at all the cuts would swerve ruining my belts or straps. Anyway what do you guys think of the vergez blanchard.  Or How about the original strap cutter?? Is that any good ??? I'm looking for precision and consistency.

Check out Bruce Johnson for a plough gauge...great person to deal with and good prices.

Lots of other tools as well.

I use the plough gauges by Blanchard. Are you thinking of buying a new one?I use ploughs on strap over an inch wide and the US draw gauge (CSO) on thinner straps. The plough are pushed in to the leather and compress rather than stretch it. Anyway, both types of tools efficiency depend on how their blades are set up. They need to have an edge on one side to press the leather against the guide and be properly sharpen/stropped. The Blanchard plough have a scale in millimeters and the construction are the same they had for years. The knifes are not the same quality as old stock tools and I do not know how they come set up. You could buy an old stock plough from Bruce Johnson with a knife already set up properly. I do have a couple of the original wooden strap cutters, they are not professional tools. They are affordable tools, I could sell you one. I have not used them for years, I have no plans to use them in the future either. 

Tor 

Yes I'm thinking of buying a new one. I need something that helps me cut leather faster(right now I use a big ruler and box cutter ) . I'm doing 2" 2 1/4"belts and I'm about to do a 3 " belt also I'm about to do some saddle stirrups that need to be 3 3/4 do you guys think this vergez blanchard plough gauge will work for me? I see 2 different sizes on ebay. I think 100mm and 150mm what is recommended 

Hi, I have five different ploughs, all of different pattern. The Blanchard 100 mm (current model) is the one I like the best. The roller on it is spring loaded and supports the leather at all time. The roller can also be locked in the position you want. I Have a couple of 150 mm wide too, but never had the use for more than 100 mm.  There is no doubt that the plough gauge is the best strap cutter for wide straps, more than a inch wide. But it will cut work fine on thinner straps too.  As with all strap cutters it's a technique to use them. It's easier to master than a draw gauge anyway.  Keep the knife polished with the bevel on the side against the guide/fence. This way it will push the leather against the guide ensuring a consistent even cut strap. If you buy the Blanchard you have a tool that last more than a live time, you may wear out some blades in it. Make sure the tool comes with at least one knife, Blanchard sell them both with and without the knife. I have no problem recommending this tool to you, it's number one.

Tor