kobo

Enhancing a 3D stamp

Greetings one and all.

I am relatively new to leather working. I came into it basically when I needed to re-work/repair an item I had and slowly got sucked into it after that.

I have been a wood worker for 20+ years (yeah, I'm an older guy) but that work/hobby had to be pretty much put aside when we adopted a little girl last year and I became a stay at home dad - a toddler running around power tools doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

So now, when she is napping or after the rest of the family goes to bed, I try to sneak in a hour here and there on the kitchen counter and see what I can come up with.
I have enjoyed reading through 100's of posts here on the forum over the last few weeks or so and wanted to share an idea with other newbies like myself.

If you frequent the Leather Working Pattern's Face Book Group you may have seen these already.

I am making a belt for my nephews and I wanted to incorporate a sun design. I have barely started playing with a swivel knife so I am primarily dependent on using stamps for everything. I found a 3D stamp on ebay, I liked the sun face but found it overall to be lacking in detail, and so experimented with different Craftool stamps I had to  enhance it a bit. These were the results.

One thing I find interesting is how using the same tool but simply changing which point of the sun image, the straight or curved one, I stamp over creates a different effect, to my eye at least.

The original stamp is #8503 and can be found on the second row down in the center. The numbers beside each image are the tools I tried for the different look.

Thanks for all your postings with the great info.

K

IMG_20160730_085356325.jpg

Edited by kobo

excellent variations. I like the one you chose with the F916.

38 minutes ago, Studio-N said:

excellent variations. I like the one you chose with the F916.

Thank you, yes I like the F916 best as well for this project and is the one I will be going with.

K