Wdfd908

Edge Finshing Nubuck

I have some amazing 4oz waxed and plated Nubuck that I'm planning on making into a variety of items large and small. As a start I made a sunglasses case last night. I'm wondering how to finish the edges on this. I  started sanding the edges and they did not clean up well. Should I treat it like normal veg tan leather? I typically sand, glycerine soap, buff, dye, neatsfoot/beeswax, burnish to get a good edge. Will that work? 

Almost all nubuck I've seen is chrome-tanned. Burnishing probably isn't going to work.

Ideal is probably to skive it, turn the edge back and stitch. But, that's a bit of work. I've also edged nubuck with thin strips of veg-tan and burnished that.

Thanks Michael. That's what I thought, but I figured I would check.

Some chrome tanned leathers ca be burnished after wetting the edges with gum trag.

I ended up rubbing with glycerine soap, followed by canvas. That made the fibers sit so I could dye the edges. Once dyed, I rubbed beeswax/neatsfoot oil mix on them and took an edge slicker to it. They are certainly not amazing edges, but now it has a finished look to it.