Sign in to follow this  
Lobo

Am I a plumber or a mechanic?

Sometimes I wonder whether I am more like the plumber (who always has a leaky pipe in his house) or the mechanic (whose wife's car never runs right). All of my good products get bought, and I never have the holster I want for myself!

About three months ago I had a customer ask me if I could modify my basic pancake style holster (which I have been making for 36 years), and refered me to Mitch Rosen's site to see what he had in mind. Rosen makes a new model called the Premier, which is a basic pancake style but instead of belt loops it utilizes a strap loop and snap at either side to secure to the belt.

Looked like a relatively easy adaption for my pancake style, so I made up the holster for Mr. Customer. He loved it, and ordered two more. Then I received another order from a referal by Mr. Customer. Then my financial advisor saw one I had completed and ordered a couple for himself and his son. Then both he and his son refered customers to me.

The long and short of it is that while working on this design and trying them out myself I fell in love with it. Decided that I had to have one for my Kimber Pro Carry .45. While making it up yesterday I added a matching magazine pouch.

Photos show my basic pancake holster for a Glock 22, then the new holster for my Kimber and the magazine pouch. 8-oz. shoulder, finish is the classic neatsfoot oil job with Fiebings Bag Kote. (I just oiled it this morning, so there are some dark spots visible that will disappear in another day or so). Also, a photo showing that this one (like most of my production) will hold the pistol positively when upside down, which I consider to be the test of a properly formed holster.

Extremely comfortable to wear. The strap loop eliminates the little lump that some pancakes have and your belt pushes into your waist. Put it on and take it off without unfastening your belt and threading all the belt loops. Rides very high and tight, pulling the grip into the body just like a conventional pancake.

This is my new favorite! I am adding it to my regular production for 2009 and expect good sales. All feedback so far has been very positive.

Now, time for a matching belt. Then I'll need a black set for Sunday-go-to-meeting.

By the way, sales went over 100 units in December, and my bride is complaining about having materials and inventory all over the house. So, I'm now looking for a shop to lease and get my 36-year old hobby/business out of the house. In addition to the product shown here I am adding a new shoulder holster this year (prototype has been in use for two months by 3 different guys and everybody just loves it, so I expect to see good sales there also).

Best wishes to all for the New Year!

P1010024.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010009.JPG

post-7487-1231174747_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1231174797_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1231174811_thumb.jpg

post-7487-1231174819_thumb.jpg

I like it. :yes:

Ok, being a Canuck, we don't get/see a lot of holster stuff here. I'm curious though, in the last pic, where your thumb is holding it, what about making it slightly wider and adding a pocket there for the magazine?

Greywynd,

Not trying to answer for Lobo, but I can tell you my thoughts on a "magazine pouch on the holster".... Most "modern technique" shooting schools of thought teach that the support hand is used for the management of ammunition and it's handling, not the gun hand, as it will be occupied with the gun.... If the spare magazine is on the strong side of the body, (with the holster), then you would have to reach across your body to access it with your support hand.... A spare magazine pouch worn on the support side of the body is faster to access and spreads the load-weight/bulk out over the belt line, rather than having it all in one place (the strong side hip).

Lobo.... I really line your latest efforts... any issues if I try my hand at one of that style for my Kimber Ultra CDP? (if anyone asks, I'll give you credit ;) )

-Tac

Edited by Tac

Greywynd,

Not trying to answer for Lobo, but I can tell you my thoughts on a "magazine pouch on the holster".... Most "modern technique" shooting schools of thought teach that the support hand is used for the management of ammunition and it's handling, not the gun hand, as it will be occupied with the gun.... If the spare magazine is on the strong side of the body, (with the holster), then you would have to reach across your body to access it with your support hand.... A spare magazine pouch worn on the support side of the body is faster to access and spreads the load-weight/bulk out over the belt line, rather than having it all in one place (the strong side hip).

Lobo.... I really line your latest efforts... any issues if I try my hand at one of that style for my Kimber Ultra CDP? (if anyone asks, I'll give you credit ;) )

-Tac

Feel free! I posted it here to share what I thought was a darn good idea.

The design Lobo has made is a popular design amongst the custom holster-makers, and there are many variations of it in the marketplace.

Best of luck to you, Lobo, with yours.

Ok, being a Canuck, we don't get/see a lot of holster stuff here. I'm curious though, in the last pic, where your thumb is holding it, what about making it slightly wider and adding a pocket there for the magazine?

The following contribution covers it well, especially addressing the accessibility of the magazine. The objectives are accessibility, concealment, and comfort. Achieving a balance of those three factors provides a satisfactory result.

The design Lobo has made is a popular design amongst the custom holster-makers, and there are many variations of it in the marketplace.

Best of luck to you, Lobo, with yours

Thank you, sir. I tried to make it clear that this was not my personal brain-storm here. I don't make a habit of perusing other makers' catalogs and websites looking for a design to rip off, but when I have a customer requesting certain features that can be incorporated into one of my own products I will try and serve that customer's needs. In this case, the result was something I am very pleased with, so I posted here to share it with others.

Given the 35-plus year history of pancake-style holsters, and the rather ubiquitous use of leather straps and common snaps, I don't believe that there are any patent infringement issues or intellectual property issues in this case, merely adaptation of existing methods.

I don't have exact figures, but 38 states have adopted good "shall issue" concealed carry laws, and I would estimate that at least 20 million responsible American citizens are carrying handguns on a regular basis. Add in the tens of thousands of active and retired law enforcement officers and I think that there is a significant marketplace out there, probably sufficient for quite a few small business operators like myself and others who frequent this forum.

Now I have a holster that satisfies my needs, and a few others have an idea or two for their own development, maybe satisfying their customers' needs.

Was not trying to imply in any way that you were infringing on another's design, patented or not. Simply stated that this was a popular design of holster and there were many variations of it in the marketplace. Here's our version of it:

LaredoShark.jpg

Interesting.....like I said, we don't do much with handguns here....I wish that weren't the case. The balance, and accessibility issues make sense now that they are pointed out. Basic handgun stuff I'd say now, but something I have basically no experience or knowledge of myself.

The leatherwork though looks awesome, from both you guys!!