retiredff

Leather size for 4 strand braid

Hello,

I just starting to teach myself braiding. I have the double loop down and figured out how to splice and end the braid early and when joining with the start. I now want to try making my own cord for wallets etc. I want to keep the dia. around 1/4"/6mm because many of the beads are sized to 6mm hole size. My question is what size braid do I use? Is it the same as the leather I use for double loop or is it different? I will want various colors.

Thanks

Tony

All is dependent upon your string width. I don't know your string size that you're using now.

Just now, KnotHead said:

All is dependent upon your string width. I don't know your string size that you're using now.

For the double loop I have used 3/32" and 1/8". It depends on the size of the project. For a wallet or smaller I use 3/32" lace and 1/8" for everything else. I assume this will be a 4 cord braid?

Knothead - the finished rope/cord should be around 1/4" in diameter.

Use 1/8th with a 550 cord as the core. This should put you pretty darn close to 1/4 inch.

OK